Aqara P1 motion sensor timing out with Zigbee2MQTT and weird sensitivity

I recently got one of these and I have a couple of issues.

First and more annoying is that sometime after pairing it won’t respond to configuration changes both from Z2M and HA. Here’s a snippet of the logs from Z2M when trying to set the trigger_indicator to true:

Debug 2022-06-05 15:01:32Received MQTT message on 'zigbee2mqtt/Aqara P1/set' with data '{"trigger_indicator":true}'
Debug 2022-06-05 15:01:32Publishing 'set' 'trigger_indicator' to 'Aqara P1'
Error 2022-06-05 15:01:55Publish 'set' 'trigger_indicator' to 'Aqara P1' failed: 'Error: Write 0x54ef4410004e45f7/1 aqaraOpple({"338":{"value":1,"type":32}}, {"sendWhen":"immediate","timeout":10000,"disableResponse":false,"disableRecovery":false,"disableDefaultResponse":true,"direction":0,"srcEndpoint":null,"reservedBits":0,"manufacturerCode":4447,"transactionSequenceNumber":null,"writeUndiv":false}) failed (Timeout - 20712 - 1 - 95 - 64704 - 4 after 10000ms)'

The sensor still reports movement properly though.

The other issue is that I’m not sure if the sensitivity is doing really anything… My feeling is that when I set sensitivity to low it detects quicker than high, but to be honest I’m not sure if it’s just me changing the position of the sensor accidentally when pressing the button to get it into pair mode again.

Another odd thing… This also happened to me with the previous versions of Aqara movement sensors, but it seems the luminance given it’s way off. I have other sensors from Frient and they never report 0lx even during the night, maybe 17lx when all the lights off, but Aqara sensors will report 0lx when this other one is maybe around 60 or 70lx. Is that the way these Aqara sensors work?

Are you keeping the sensor awake while setting the configuration (for Aqara devices this generally means pressings its button once every few seconds)? Zigbee end devices are asleep most of the time to preserve battery, and they won’t respond to configuration changes.

1 Like

That actually work, I need to press the button once per setting I want to change.

Thanks!

1 Like

@Guinnberg are you still using the P1? I’m trying to get it setup and positioned properly but it seems like it barely has any range and it’s causing my light off automation to kick in while someone is still in the room. I’m wondering if by changing the accuracy setting if it is actually reducing the range of the motion detection significantly.

I changed sensitivity to low and looks like it works better, but sometimes I just doesn’t detect anything (only every now and then) I gotta do more long term tests

Ditto. I have also experienced a very poor sensitivity range (I have it looking down a staircase, and it only triggers once I am at the very top - nearest the P1). Will try Low sensitivity setting… —edit— Its worse. Have now put it back to high