Aqara P1 Motion Sensor

I ended up opening a ticket with Aqara support and they asked for the details about the amazon order and they are now sending me a new sensor. I’ll report back here once I get the sensor. I do hope Aqara just released a dodgy batch which has impacted loads of people. I hope.

1 Like

I just picked up a few of these and so far they’re great for detecting motion in my bathroom and hallway. I just can’t seem to get them to clear occupancy in a reasonable amount of time. Is there somewhere that I can change the timeout for this?

See comment above by @ShooterQ about issue with detection not clearing if detection_interval is set too long. Obviously a bug, as the device itself is supposed to allow for detection_interval up to 200 secs.

I believe @shooterq describes having this issue with both ZHA and Z2M (I’m personally on Z2M), so my solution for now is keep the detection_interval short (less than 60 secs) and change the actual time using occupancy_timeout in Z2M, which usually defaults to detection_interval + 2 secs (not sure if ZHA has a corresponding feature). Seems to me that since it’s happening with both ZHA and Z2M, this may be a firmware issues on Aqara’s end, but I guess it could be an issue with the way both platforms are implementing the device, who knows!?

Seems to me that since it’s happening with both ZHA and Z2M, this may be a firmware issues on Aqara’s end, but I guess it could be an issue with the way both platforms are implementing the device, who knows!?

I think that’s the important thing to take away, that we are all HA people and tinkering around with different devices to connect our various networks. I think, in order to proof the 200 second claim, we’d need input from someone running an Aqara-made hub with the sensor, and managing it through the Aqara app. That could uncover some data.

1 Like

I resolved my issue (it was the well documented) but not so obvious to a new HA/Zigbee guy.
It is imperative to have the usb extender when your using a zigbee dongle. I added a 2 meeter dongle and all my strange anomalies magically went away. This includes the issues I had with the aqara p1 sensors…

**Dont use the a Zigbee usb stick without an extension cable!
b:)

That is odd - I have one in my entry room and it picks me up at ~> 20’ consistently.
Maybe its a bad unit…

I have an Aqara M1S Gen2 Hub also, and I have the same problems mentioned here. Only the 30s interval time works. ( Tried with z2m too ) I contacted the support but they just said that it maybe a hardware fault and should change it at the reseller. But the mentioned tips that can be set up in HA Z2M looks promising if change is not an option.

When the 2min detect interval is set, the attached events happen.

Did you get a chance to test the replacement sensor yet?

Hi, apologies, yes, I did get a replacement sensor and indeed it was a hardware problem. The replacement sensor works spot on.

1 Like

I have both Aqara Motion Sensor and Aqara P1 Motion Sensor. Honestly, both these sensors are total garbage in terms of detecting motion. With P1, I really like that I can set timeout to 30 seconds but that’s about it. I can literally move 2 meters in front of the sensors and they won’t detect anything :frowning: And I have set the sensitivity to high. Honestly, it seems to me like there’s basically no difference between low/medium/high. Very disappointing. I have also Sonoff Motion Sensor and that one is very sensitive in comparison.

I’m still looking for something that has usable detection sensitivity but with timeout less than ~ 1 minute…

I’ve bought 4 units in early 2022 (manufactured 03/22) and all of them are horrible (detection range and with fine motion). That happens even after I upgraded to firmware v6.

A couple of days ago, I bought one new sensor on Amazon Germany (which already came with v6) and it’s so much better. Detection range is much improved and it also properly detects fine motion. This one was manufactured 11/22.
So it seems like there were some hardware changes to finally make these usable.

It’ll always flash for the first few minutes of being paired.

I have the Aqara Motion Sensor and the Aqara Motion Sensor P1 sitting on top of one another in our living room.

Oddly the P1 Motion Sensor is not updating properly compared to the old plain Motion Sensor. The P1 sensors seem to get stuck detecting motion.

Update: I found that changing the detection interval was not saving (Home Assistant said 30, but refreshing showed 60 still). It took bringing the P1 motion sensor into the same room as the controller, pressing the button on the P1, then immediately changing the interval, and pressing the button again…and again…and again…

After four or five tries it finally saved. :man_shrugging:

First I would check the Zigbee connection. You would assume, that both are connected via the same hub, but are they? Then you could try to Reconfigure the device or reconnect it and set a manual update time. Perhaps it doesn’t work as it should and the status of the device never reaches HA.

At the moment I have 4 P1 operational and all 4 of them work fine, but all of them are relative near a hub (Zigbee bulb). Perhaps the connection isn’t stable?

I have no real idea, it is more trying to clear out the possibilities.

I changed the interval back to 30…which took a lot of tries. Seems to be working normally now.

I’m not sure why the interval being set to 60 caused it to stop updating.

Ok, I left mine on 30s, but I remember that I read somewhere, that there seem to be a problem with longer intervals, but not with shorter ones. As far as I remember you will still be ok with 50s interval. Strange programming for sure.

1 Like

When you view your ZigBee topology do the P1 motion sensors “float”?
We have Aqara Leak and Motion (not P1) sensors as well, they all have a line connecting them to the controller.

I’m also getting terrible range out of the device. Put it next to a previous generation aqara motion sensor: the old one goes up to at least 5m (length of my hallway), while the P1 doesn’t register anything beyond ~1.5m/2m. Production date 06.2022 on mine, can anyone confirm that newer batches don’t have the range issue?

I just bought mine from Amazon. There where two versions of the P1 available. The “normal” Aqara P1 Motion Sensor and ony Aqara P1 Motion Sensor (Updated Version). I’ve chosen the updated version, I would have anyway, but strangely enough the updated version costs a little bit less.

Here on Amazon Germany

[edit]Forgot to write, I have no problems with detection[/edit]

1 Like

My P1 (reference MS-S02) has a production date 09/2022.
I haven’t been impressed by its ability to detect so far but maybe it was too high and not tilted the right way so I don’t want to jump to conclusions…

I also have the regular (smaller) version RTCGQ11LM and I noticed it gives temperature which the P1 does not. At least in Deconz.