Aqara sensors via their hub or via a Hue hub?

In my new setup I’m trying to reduce the quantity of hubs I will need, I want hue stuff and Aqara stuff, will it be fine to put all the Aqara stuff via the hue hub for reliable meshing or should I run both hubs?

Pros and cons?

Have you tried hue hub with Aqara sensors? AFAIR you can’t use other third party products than lights with the hue hub.

Maybe trash them both and you a universal hub like Conbee stick II …

1 Like

RodgerDodger is right, the Hue hub is for Signify-Lights and accessories plus a few compatible products.
Aquara will not work.
I also second getting a decent Zigbee coordinator instead but please don‘t get the outdated Conbee II stick. Get something based on the CC2652P instead, you won‘t regret it!

As mentioned, you cannot use the Aqara sensors with the Hue hub.

If you want to reduce hubs, it’s best to buy a new one which can handle all the brands using Zigbee. The Conbee II is a coordinator which is used a lot for that, but there are more. To interact with HA you can choose from Phoscon (only for the Conbee stick), ZHA and zigbee2mqtt.

My personal setup is the ZZH! coordinator with zigbee2mqtt (and Mosquitto as mqtt broker). Zigbee2mqtt supports a lot of Zigbee devices and is heavily maintained.

This guy?

Will I be able to do firmware updates without the hue and Aqara hubs?

Zigbee2mqtt supports over the air updates of firmware for several brands, including Philips Hue.

1 Like

I have the blue official HA hardware hub, assuming I can use the USB on that, is zigbee2mqtt just an add-on to HA?

Zigbee2mqtt can be installed separate, but also as an add-on. Instructions for that can be found here: GitHub - zigbee2mqtt/hassio-zigbee2mqtt: Zigbee2mqtt Home Assistant add-on. For full documentation, checkout the site: https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/

1 Like

CC2652R is ok?

CC2625P, CC2652R, CC2652RB are basically them same
CC2652P has an internal amplifier
CC2625R needs an external amplifier, but the sticks have them
CC2625RB needs an external amplifier and an oscillator crystal, but the sticks have them

You just need to flash the correct firmware if you need to (re)flash them.

Will they work with the Eve Thread Motion Sensors? I’m wondering whether to go Thread over Zigbee for my sensors?

I won’t argue about Coordinators ( in common ), but if you know you want to stick with Aqara and Hue stuff, i would suggest Aqara-hub, and best Hub for the Hue-stuff, you get 2 integration, which don’t chocks 1, you can place them apart ( Aqara via Ethernet ), and most of all, seems like most issues reported here are related to small USB-Sticks ( not that i know why, or that it’s specific related to those Coordinators ), but one can wonder, interference/instability, is most likely to occur easilyer with 1 USB-Stick/Integration( plugged direct in a Hot-Working-Device-Environment(stuffed away in a corner) serving all devices)

So you are suggesting 2 zigbee networks?

yes, my Aqara are serving Motion-Sensors, Temp/Humid, and few wall-switches and plugs , Ikea Serving Lights, Plugs, Cover

1. if something (well it works) but if something lacks, don’t work, i can maybe exclude common failure, or HA, if it works fine on the other, as each device is paired to the Coordinator, i guess it doesn’t block, or interfere to much on the other Coordinator, as they are about 7m apart , and like wifi, you can have 2 networks, some have 3 wifi, 2.4, 5.0, guest
    … and they are using 2 different chips, most likely “adapted” to the Brand-devices

Any extra Zigbee mesh network leaves less space for WiFi networks, because they operate on the same bandwidth.

Another advantage of a universal Zigbee network is that you are not restricted to the supported brands of the hubs.

Most issues with the single USB coordinators can be solved by using an USB extension cable and the mesh network itself takes care of the communication between coordinator and/or devices.

Edit: typos

1 Like

i know, thou i believe it’s not a question of “extra” network, but amount of traffic/signals and their route

So you have both Zigbee networks on the same channel?

1 Like

nope, i don’t believe so, last time i looked
Just checked again, still using default Channels, Aqara 15, Ikea 11( and Ikea might be the only , but! )

Please checkout this page: ZigBee and Wi-Fi Coexistence | MetaGeek

i know :wink: , have MetaGeek as a Bookmark, thou again, everything thats capable of Ethernet, is running Ethernet here !, specially TV’s, Laptops at “stationer” places, AND Cams, so basically i only have 4 indoor, WIFI cams, rest is Ethernet, 1 Laptop runs on and of + my 2 Phones , all 3 on 5.0Ghz … so no i have no WIFI problems, beside they only runs WIFIn
Thou i also have more than 2 dozen WIFI plugs