Aqara smart switch + Philips Hue bulb

Update after having installed this. I can confirm that the Aqara H1 wall switch, when set to decoupled mode, works great with smart bulbs. You do need to use Zigbee2MQTT rather than ZHA though, because, at time of writing, I was unable to find a way to set decoupled mode in ZHA.

2 Likes

But it only works with the version with neutral, right? I have both, but with the no neutral version, if I turn off a smart bulb the Aqara button can no longer be pressed. I guess not enough load for both if the bulb goes to “stand-by mode”?

I don’t know for sure as don’t have the “No Neutral” version. This is with the “With Neutral” version of the switch.

If there’s not enough load, you can wire in a bypass capacitor at the light fitting e.g. this one from Shelly. This should allow enough current through to the switch, although you will need to check the minimum requirements do not exceed whichever bypass capacitor you buy. Hope that helps.

For me decoupled mode works in both versions of Aqara switches (with and without neutral).

1 Like

I know this an old thread but I’m coming to the same conclusion, Ie néed smart bulbs and smart switches (aqara D1), so need to use decoupling. I did this back in the day with webcore on smartthings. But my current HA setup has 40 ZHA devices, looks like I need to bite bullet and move everything to Zigbee2MQTT, as you cannot run both on same instance, is that right?

I’m suprised there are so few switch options (I’m in UK but do have neutrals in most cases). Thats what I’m concluding from own research and https://youtu.be/9u_kQ9gW9Cg?si=gNFEY6-f-XmB4u-a this great video form home automation guy.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a few threads lately which state that setting decoupled mode for Aqara switches in ZHA is supported now, so you don’t really need to migrate.

Have a search through this thread. You might have to issue a cluster command if it’s not exposed in the UI, but it should be doable.

1 Like

Yup. Using the manage clusters interface in ZHA is the only way to toggle decoupled mode on the Aqara switches currently.

1 Like

great thanks both - will take a look. glad I sent this before converting!

Don’t be too glad. I run both ZHA & Z2MQTT (mainly because I switched over a couple of years ago and am too lazy to fully migrate).

My personal experience is that Z2MQTT has faster support & generally more features for new devices and quicker turnaround time for bug resolution. It’s gotten to the point where it wouldn’t cross my mind to add a new device via ZHA.

If you can spare the cash and the time, I recommend buying another coordinator to run Z2MQTT and migrate at your own* pace.

*Don’t migrate at my pace or you’ll never be done :wink: