Aquarite Pool

Nice ! :slight_smile:

Build in progress, as time allows. I’ve upgraded to an ESP with a wifi antenna. I had poor reception at the pool house. Wonder if I will use an external box or fit the circuit inside the Aquarite… (warranty void).

1 Like

Looks very nice! I also ordered the one with an antenna. I will put mine outside the pool house and pull cables to the Aquarite. I think that is the best and then get at water proof plastic box for the ciruits and only have the antenna on the outside of it.
My pool house is concrete so I will not get wifi signal if I keep it in the pool house.

I confirm being working using the power source from Aquarite, will post more findings as I use the device.

!! Be careful with ESP8266 Enhancements from Sugar Valley NeoPool Controller - Tasmota

If you set up a filtration button as described in the documentation, your Aquarite will always revert to “manual” mode. Which I do not want for time being as I’m using “smart” with freeze protection.

1 Like

Nice work. Can I ask which MODBUS port you are using on the Aquarite? I can only get this to work on Display / Modbus 1. But if I plug in the display simultaneosly, it is a big mess. I tried using External or Wifi ports with NEOPOOL_MODBUS_ADDRESS set to 2 or 3 but not luck there. So curious to know where you are connecting. Thank you!

I’m using this one. I’ve to check if it does not give issues with the display and/or wifi module. I do not often test drive it. too cold outside to work on :slight_smile:

Have you tried with MODBUS address 1 ? see page 2 https://www.welldana.com/media/wysiwyg/attachments/Manualer/D30-190045_MODBUS%20REGISTER%20DESCRIPTION_MANU_EN.pdf

The display port is the master, where display should be connected. other shall use modbus 1 and any other port. Are you using the tasmota firmware or other ?

Hah, I’m in Australia, so the weather is much better for swimming now!

Yes I am using the Neopool Tasmota device. When I plug into DISPLAY (MODBUS1) and set NEOPOOL_MODBUS_ADDRESS to 1, the Tasmota works great. I just cannot use the Display anymore.

I tried the EXTERN plug but sadly could never get any data. Perhaps I’m not setting the MODBUS correctly. Does your user_config_override.h file look like this?

#ifndef NEOPOOL_MODBUS_ADDRESS
#define NEOPOOL_MODBUS_ADDRESS    3    // Any modbus address
#endif

Try

#ifndef NEOPOOL_MODBUS_ADDRESS
#define NEOPOOL_MODBUS_ADDRESS 1 // Any modbus address
#endif

and use the Extern connector as by the picture.

Enjoy the season !

You were right. NEOPOOL_MODBUS_ADDRESS should have been set to 1 all along. Working great now.

Summer is fading so lots of heating required … !

PS: Can you point me to the ESP module that has an external antenna plug? My wi-fi is spotty also.

Search with your favorite engine “D1 Mini Pro ESP8266 WIFI”. This is how it should look

I’ve myself purchased from Amazon, but I’m not happy and will return the product. Out of 5, 3 were defect. Be sure to review the seller rating, I ordered too fast :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FYI

I’ve got it stable and working for a week by disabling network scan. Somehow, might be linked to my network, when option 57 was enabled in Tasmota → frequent disconnect:

SetOption57 Wi-Fi network re-scan every 44 minutes with alternate to +10dB stronger signal if detected (only visible networks)
0 = disable
1 = enable (default)

This looks great! Is there a list of models of AquaRite this would be compatible with? They have a number of similar controllers, just trying to wrap my head around which would and would not work.

I am looking for input on how you are or will be using the integration to the pool from HA?

I have created custom component that integrates to Dryden da-gen pool controllers and maybe more Hayden controllers. It uses the backend services for this site:Domotic for swimmingpools

For now it shows the following values and enables switching on/off the pool light:

The integration is done by creating “buttons” in Tasmota on the ESP32,
Then those “buttons” are discovered by HA. You can just call them to turn on lights, etc…

see example " ESP82xx: Add buttons for filtration and light control" here Sugar Valley NeoPool Controller - Tasmota

HI. How can I add buttons for the four Aux relays? I am using a D1 Mini Pro ESP8266 WIFI board.

See Sugar Valley NeoPool Controller - Tasmota

Manual switch relay 7 (Aux4)

To switch Aux4 ON, we set MBF_PAR_TIMER_BLOCK_AUX4_INT1 (0x04D9) + MBV_TIMER_OFFMB_TIMER_ENABLE (0) to MBV_PAR_CTIMER_ALWAYS_ON (3):.

Backlog NPWrite 0x4D9,3;NPExec
RESULT = {"NPWrite":{"Address":"0x04D9","Data":"0x0003"}}
RESULT = {"NPExec":"Done"}

To switch Aux4 OFF, we set MBF_PAR_TIMER_BLOCK_AUX4_INT1 (0x04D9) + MBV_TIMER_OFFMB_TIMER_ENABLE (0) to MBV_PAR_CTIMER_ALWAYS_OFF (4):.

Backlog NPWrite 0x4D9,4;NPExec
RESULT = {"NPWrite":{"Address":"0x04D9","Data":"0x0004"}}
RESULT = {"NPExec":"Done"}

Then follow the “add button” example for light, mimic the same code but adapt for your AUX relays

Can you give a more specific example for let’s say Aux 4? Please excuse my lack of knowledge but I really struggle with them and I really want to make them work.

Off topic:

Last night I dismantled my Sugar Valley wifi module and found inside an ESP module wich I flashed with Tasmota NeoPool, but it seams it doesn’t communicate trough modbus. Maybe someone more experienced can make it work. Imagine how simple and cool could that be, to use the original wifi module to connect to HA.

Try this in your Tasmota Console

Backlog GPIO0 224
Backlog WebButton1 Aux4
Rule1
ON Power1#State==0 DO NPWrite 0x4D9,3;NPExec ENDON
ON Power1#State==1 DO NPWrite 0x4D9,4;NPExec ENDON
Backlog Rule1 5;Rule1 1

1 Like

Thanks fdebrus for the hint, I finally got It working. From your example I got where I wanted with some minor modifications:

• the states where the other way around, just replaced 0 with 1 and viceversa;
  • added Backlog to the command because it didn’t work without it.

So, thanks again for putting light in my problem!

I will attach my final config. for others who might have the same problem with the buttons:

Backlog GPIO0 224;GPIO2 225;GPIO4 226;GPIO5 227;GPIO9 228;GPIO10 229

Backlog WebButton1 Filtration;WebButton2 Light;WebButton3 Aux1;WebButton4 Aux2;WebButton5 Aux3;WebButton6 Aux4

Rule1
  ON Power1#State==0 DO NPFiltration %value% ENDON
  ON Power1#State==1 DO NPFiltration %value% ENDON
  ON NeoPool#Filtration#State==0 DO Power1 %value% ENDON
  ON NeoPool#Filtration#State==1 DO Power1 %value% ENDON
  ON Power2#State==0 DO NPLight %value% ENDON
  ON Power2#State==1 DO NPLight %value% ENDON
  ON NeoPool#Light==0 DO Power2 %value% ENDON
  ON NeoPool#Light==1 DO Power2 %value% ENDON
  ON Power3#State==0 DO Backlog NPWrite 0x4AC,4;NPExec ENDON
  ON Power3#State==1 DO Backlog NPWrite 0x4AC,3;NPExec ENDON
  ON Power4#State==0 DO Backlog NPWrite 0x4BB,4;NPExec ENDON
  ON Power4#State==1 DO Backlog NPWrite 0x4BB,3;NPExec ENDON
  ON Power5#State==0 DO Backlog NPWrite 0x4CA,4;NPExec ENDON
  ON Power5#State==1 DO Backlog NPWrite 0x4CA,3;NPExec ENDON
  ON Power6#State==0 DO Backlog NPWrite 0x4D9,4;NPExec ENDON
  ON Power6#State==1 DO Backlog NPWrite 0x4D9,3;NPExec ENDON

Backlog Rule1 5;Rule1 1

Hi. I’ve been desperately looking for a way to connect my Hayward Aquarite to Home Assistant and was very happy to find this page as it seems to be the solution after hayward has cut the connection.

So far I got the pieces mentioned (RS485 to TTL and ESP8266) and (with some initial trouble) got the firmware built following the instructions on the docker-tasmota GitHub site. Due to being an absolute beginner with these things, I am stuck now with flashing the firmware to the devices. Is there any instruction (hopefully for dummies) how to flash the firmware to the devices?

Any hints are gratefully appreciated!

Try the tools available from this webpage Getting Started - Tasmota
Web Installer should do if the ESP is USB connected to your PC that has the correct drivers loaded. (driver to load are also described on the page).
Load “Tasmota lite” using the above mentioned tool. Send the wifi config to the ESP. You should then be able to connect to the device (ESP) over wifi. From Tasmota menu choose OTA update and select the firnware you have created.

It should load and be ready to be used with your Aquarite

Alternativly, you can load your firmware instead of the “tasmota lite” at first step but when it comes to new devices, I like to start with the lite version, check everything is fine then load my custom one.