Ariela - Home Assistant Android Client

Hi @Ionut,

Widgets has some issues… Example:

The action ON and OFF sometimes does not correspond to reality.
When the light is OFF widget shows on and when light is ON widget shows OFF.

Hi Rodolfo, let me see what i can do about this.

I was shocked how much data Ariela used last month while not being on Wifi. Luckily I found out in time and I could prevent extra charges.

Would it be possible to have a setting to get this behaviour: when on Wifi, Ariela can do anything. When on cellular network, don’t do anything in the background. Only use data when I manually open the app (so that I can at least control things).

I will add a new option that if checked will make Ariela run in background, else it will close any connections with HA. Hope this is ok.

Well Ariela could keep running in the background, but I would just like it to not use data all the time when on cellular in the backgrond. Once I reconnect to wifi (when arriving at work for instance) it may continue to do its thing in the background.

That will mean that Ariela needs to be disconnect from HA server. And for example if auto-reconnect is enabled it will auto reconnect so this is not an option.

Disconnecting from Ariela when not on wifi would be fine for me. I only want it to connect to HA on cellular when I manually open the app. And when on wifi I would like it to connect/restore automatically to be able to make use of all the background features like sensors.

I have recently switched to the device tracker using Mobile App (not See).
However, I frequently have false locations being sent (old location data).
For example in the image below you can see that every 5 or so minutes the old location is sent for some minutes.

My configuration is:
Tracking Mode: GPS
Intervall: 1min
Last position: 50m
Accuracy: 100

Any idea what could be the problem?

Try to lower the accuracy. Put it at 10 meters or so and see if the problem still persist. 100 meters is quite a distance and possible that’s why this behavior.

I will see what i can do about this :smiley:

How much is much for you? Also, you can yourself restrict background access to an app when on mobile data.

@Ionut what data is streamed in the background? I guess it depends on the entities and how many you have, e.g. is there a polling interval and what data is pulled from HA server? Could we get some details about that?

FYI my Ariela (Pro) app used 54.54MB from June 10 to today. 54.52MB foreground, 21.48KB in background. So next to nothing is downloaded in the background on my phone.

Thanks

Yesterday it used 16MB in just the 3 hours that I was not on wifi. I have now blocked the use of mobile data in the background. Maybe that is indeed exactly the setting that I’m looking for.

Only downside is that it now can’t automatically tell my home that I’m no longer connected to the office wifi.

What sensors do you have running that could that amount of background data? 20kB in a month vs 16MB in 3 hours is very significant. Perhaps it’s a good idea to have debug mode running in Ariela and have Ionut look at it to see what is consuming so much.

Ariela only requests entities states when connected. After that it rely on events from HA. If the entities are changed a lot then this means it will be a lot of traffic since Ariela will receive a lot of events.
Of course, the number of sensors enabled in Ariela also count: many you have, many HA updates, and when a entity changes, a update event from HA will be send.

Can you tell me how do you close Ariela: by pressing back button or from home button?

Close using the home button. I have 7 sensors enabled via mobile_app. Device tracker is on, but only send update once every 15m. I did have automatic reconnect active, perhaps that has something to do with it. I believe I activated that because I noticed Ariela was not sending data to HA in some cases.

I do notice by the way that device tracker is currently not working, HA shows lat and long 0.0 with GPS accuracy 100.

Ill try it and will report back after some longer observation as this issues does not always appear.
However, even though i changed the accuracy to a lower level the sensor in HA now shows:

gps accuracy 800

FYI - I’m seeing some significant battery drain today (12%) in Ariela with the current release. I only use 3 sensors ( phone status, battery status and next alarm) coming in over a reverse proxy leveraging certificate authentication. Let me know if I can provide any debug data

Hi,
Great app, love it, just learning how to use notifications, i’m on android 9.
I can get the notifications to pop out, why? How can I share a video of my screen to.demonstrate what I mean?

Please try to close Ariela using back button and not home and tell me if you see any improvement.

That’s very strange. Ariela should not send GPS location if the accuracy is greater then the set one. I will investigate this.

Did you have any battery optimisations applied? Did this issue happened only today?

I am glad you like it. You can use the contact function from Ariela. It will send me a email and you can attach the video to that email. Please let me know if works :slight_smile:

Standard battery optimizations for a stock pixel 2xl. I’ve never noticed it as bad as today. I changed my phone at noon. It’s already down 25% and the only app in the list for battery use is Ariela … I can try killing it and reloading to see if it’s a one time anomaly if that helps

1 Like

Hello all,
Version 1.3.4.7 is out.
What’s new:

• NEW: added setting to allow Ariela run in background or not
  • NEW: support for markdown language in Markdown Lovelace card
  • NEW: support for markdown language in notifications
  • improved widgets usage
  • allow arming / disarming alarms when no code is required
  • fixed issue when history graph is not showing for some entities
  • moved home wifi networks setting to device tracker entry
  • moved auto reconnect setting to server connection entry