Ariela - Home Assistant Android Client

about NFC, can you tell me how this works?
i am now using Hass NFC : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gerbenbol.hassnfc&hl=en
it actually writes an unique identifier to an empty tag, for example “kitchen”
so when i read the tag, it sends the service, for example .switch.toggle “kitchen” light
so how does ariela work? so i need to write my empty tags with “something” what do i need to write on it? how does ariela know that i read the tag? does it needs to be open when i read? or can it be closed?
how is this handled in HA? is there an event coming in?

thnx for the info

Yes, the experience will be generally much improved having custom cards implemented in Ariela natively (no web ui).
Note that since there are a lot of custom cards, it will be generally impossible to support all, so only most wanted cards will be implemented. So i expect here for anyone to write what custom cards do you think Ariela can have implemented.

In Ariela when you enable the NFC sensor, it will create a mobile_app or mqtt sensor. When Ariela detects a NFC tag scanned, it will update the state of that sensor. This means that if you want to create automation / scripts based on NFC sensor, you will have to read that sensor state (which will be the last NFC value Ariela read), or make automations triggered by the state changed of the sensor

ok, thnx for the info
but how does Ariela know i am reading a TAG? there needs to be somekind of identier?
because with Hass NFC, there is a unique string on it, so even when Hass NFC is not open, or running in background, when i swipe a tag, Hass NFC, knows its a tag for the tool
how can Ariela know this? or do i need to open Ariela first and then read the tag ?

also, another question about device tracker, sorry for questions
i see an option , updates position, from 1 to 500 meter, this is a battery saver configuration right?
but i dont understand how this can save battery?
even if i put or 500 , the GPS still needs to be get a fix so it knows the device moved between xx meters? so if i put 200 or 500 , the impact on battery will be the same?

Ariela will not going to need to know what NFC tag you read. Whatever a NFC tag has on it, that data will be send to the HA. So what you have to do is:

• write a NFC tag with another app
  • enable NFC reader on Ariela
  • whenever Ariela read a NFC tag it will update the created sensor with the value read.

Eg: by enabling NFC reader in Ariela, Ariela will create a sensor called “sensor.my_phone_nfc_reader”
When Ariela will read a NFC tag, it will update the created sensor state with the tag value. Does this have sense?
Example: here the NFC sensor is updated with a NFC tag which has value = “Ariela Home assistant”

Actually, this is actually like a minimum threshold between updates and not related to the battery conservation.

yes, makes more sense
just 1 maybe stupid question though
for example i have an NFC tag, with name for example “Alarm”
so when i first read the tag, i can disarm my alarm, so the state of the sensors is like “alarm”
so next day, i swipe again, but the state is not changed? because its the same tag ?
or how is this handled in the sensor?

Indeed you are right here. If you will read same NFC tag, HA will not going to change the state, it will remain as the old value. Maybe here, i could add another attribute like a date or something so that could be updated when the same tag is read. What do you think?

well,i think i can manage without an attribute for now
i can just create an automation, when i read the tag, i can call the service that i want, and then just change the state back to whatever dummy value
so when i read the same tag again, it will run the automation again

at this moment, i am just usin 1 tag, its in my car, so i can disarm my alarm panel :slight_smile:

Still, i took into consideration your problem and i added a new time attribute. This change should be available on the next Ariela release

great :slight_smile:
thnx for the change, so i can check indeed if time is changed also

So where do I make my wish list for custom componets for Ariela native lovelace?! :stuck_out_tongue:

The cards I see as a must have are:

• vertical-stack-in-card
  • mini-media-player
  • monster-card
  • mini-graph-card-bundle
  • alarm_control_panel-card
  • swipe-card
  • card-tools
  • auto-entities
  • fold-entity-row

The very nice to have but not so used, popular or neccesary:

• aftership-card
  • xiaomi-vacuum-card
  • flower-card
  • upcoming-media-card

I think a good place to start is with whatever is on HACS, most people will just install HACS and used whatever cards are there. But it’s quite a long list.

1 Like

Why not use the webview if you need all that custom stuff? I’dd rather see the app become more stable and faster instead of bulkier.

Ok, to make use of device tracker , I need to enable background running, otherwise it will only update if I open ariela, correct? :wink:

Yes, if you want constantly monitoring then yes. Else, the device tracker will be updated every 10-15 minutes or so.

The native UI could be in some cases much faster. Also in some cases, webview is not available on the phones so the native ui is all that remain.

Ah , how can it update if the app is closed every 15 min?

A request is made to the location services to send that event if the Ariela is not running in background

1 Like

Great, gonna buy app now, really like it :wink:

1 last question, all those options like device tracker and location updates, can you also push those from HA to an Android client? So I can make profiles in HA, like tracking on/off for multiple persons

Do you mean if you can turn off / on features of Ariela directly from Home Assistant?

Indeed , change location gps meters settings for example, so I can make profiles, for example that during day other settings are applied then night to save on battery

Or just enable/disable tracker

In theory this can be made using for example a web server in Ariela (and use HA to send custom commands to the app) or via MQTT, but it will not be that clean and easy for some to implement / have. I will see what i can do about this in the future so i can offer best experience for everybody.

Thnx in advance, well I think those device tracker configurations are indeed usefull, so that they can remotely programmed, especially because they kill battery

I can make buttons then like track person x on/off accurate on/off …