Ariela - Home Assistant Android Client

Keeping it small, reliable, efficient and up to date with the features you already have planned is all I dream of at this point. For me lack of new auth support is the only thing stopping me from using your app atm.

I also like to suggest, as mentioned before. Either make lovelace default view or as a option. Basically what I’m looking for at this state is a lovelace web wrapper with notifications (actionable) and location services.

2 Likes

play store doesnt show an update.
so i cant tell.

Me too, I use Lovelace since it’s way better than groups and is clearly the future (and present for many) . Now I have no use of Ariela because doesn’t support Lovelace

I will investigate the issue, thank you for reporting it and also thank you for purchasing the PRO version.

About new authentication support how would you like to do enter user name and password and ariela will take care of retrieving authentication tokens everytime or would you like just to set a permanent authentication token?

I will add lovelace support on my TODO list

Could you please check again if the update arrived?

Like i said, i will add lovelace support to my TODO list.

Thank you very much for your suggestions it is really helping me.
Ionut

just checked, playstore says last update is 27/9

the pro version is 28/9 I just update now

I did some more testing with notifications, previously I had notify.android, now I also have notify.android_unknown_device. but none of them work.

Hello,
Please delete old py script from your server and if you use the PRO version of the application use the script from arielapro directory which you can find here:

Please let me know if it works.

1 Like

it’s working now !!

however I do not get any popup, it just goes straight to notifications. I guess that is working as intended.

also a bit confusing, first it shows up as a seperate notification, but then a second later it is grouped with the server info notification that is allways there. That might be a issue with my phone though.

I am glad that is working now. You are correct, no popup appear, its just showing notifications. In the future maybe i can add a option to show popups instead of notifications.

I will investigate this.

Also, nobody responded: It is ok for you guys if “Long-Lived Access Tokens” are used for the new auth system?
I am asking this because normal tokens will need to be refreshed each 30 minutes so some issues could be introduced when using those.
Please let me know your thoughts

This is far from my expertise, but I assume that long-lived tokens should be fine. When you use the app on an “unsafe” network, I assume you have security measures setup in your HA to connect via https or vpn, so the token is safe. But as I said, I really have no idea here, but I assume the question is related to security risks.

EDIT: but if you where to as Mark Zuckerberg today, I think he might think long-lived tokens are a bad idea :smiley:

Good one :))

I will implement the access token authentication and see how it goes. Ariela will still support legacy api password but i will offer the possibility to the user to choose between those two.

Not sure what the best way to implement auth, the most convenient is to let ariela handle tokens if that is “good enough”. My unqualified guess is it’s “good enough” under Https. Most users users will access over duckdns it seems, and hopefully use Https.

Hello,

Token based authentication has been added.
Steps to successfully login using Ariela + tokens:

1. Go to Home Assistant and create a long lived access token ( do not forget to copy this token and maybe send to phone)
  2. Open Ariela and fallow the setup process
  3. When requesting password / token, check the token access switch(if not already done)
  4. Enter the token
  5. Enjoy Ariela

You can download the apk here: http://surodev.com/ariela/app-ariela-release.apk

Of course old password authentication works as well.
Please test it and let me know how it works.
Thank you,
Ionut

No such switch in my app? not in the .apk you linked or in the play store version. And token does not work when used as password.

Hello,

Please try again from : http://surodev.com/ariela/app-ariela-release.apk
Also the playstore version has been also updated to version 1.1 which should be available in a few hours.

Ionut

Hello,

Did anyone got the chance to test the latest version?

Can confirm it connects with auth token remotely over https. Two thumbs up! Will test more later.
My plan is to use this for reliable actionable notifications, widgets and hopefully good location services. My main interface will be web(app) in the forseable future.

I am glad to hear its working. Notifications and widgets are already implemented, device tracker is my next todo thing.

Hey Ionut,
Working great and a lot of nice updates you are implementing. Thanks for letting me test it out so far. I will head for Google store now and buy the pro edition! Then I know I will also remember to get the latest updated when implemented :slight_smile: