Arlo: replacement pyarlo module

@sherrell I was just installing your Arlo addon, I noticed the instructions mention a custom glance card and instructions to add it to the ui config but I can’t seem to find the aarlo-glance.js fine. I noticed it seems to be commented out as well in the install script?

Thanks!

How do you use the other websockets, like aarlo_snapshot_image or aarlo_library?

I use snapshot like this to receive a image when someone uses my doorbell (not a arlo doorbell)

1 Like

Thanks, though that’s not exactly what I’m looking for.

Can anyone explain how to use the web socket to get e.g. the thumbnail image url of the last video recorded?

@stonith I moved it when I added Aarlo to HACS - the UI piece had to be in a separate component. It can be found here now: https://github.com/twrecked/lovelace-hass-aarlo

@sytone I have a vague recollection of that happening to someone but it’s very vague. I also notice it’s not reporting any battery_tech - it’s normally rechargeable battery.

• What version of Aarlo are you using?
  • Do you have a separate Arlo account for Home Assistant?
  • Does everything else look ok?

One thing to try on the latest version is to add this to the main config:

aarlo:
    host: https://arlo.netgear.com/

@tttt How are you trying to access to access the web socket? From appdaemon? Javascript? I ask because that will affect how you use the websocket. For example, the custom Lovelace card uses the following code to access a websocket:

async wsLoadLibrary(at_most ) {
        try {
            const library = await this._hass.callWS({
                type: "aarlo_library",
                entity_id: this._s.cameraId,
                at_most: at_most,
            });
            return ( library.videos.length > 0 ) ? library.videos : null;
        } catch (err) {
            return null
        }
    }

The callWS function being provided by the hass object.

Thanks Steve - this is illuminating. Didn’t know I needed another language to access the websocket. I’ll dust off my javascript and have a play around.

Tried updating the configuration with the host entry but it made no difference. I am using a separate account for home assistant so it will not compete and log out. Everything else looks ok and if I go to the web portal it shows percentage, however the devices JSON returned from the web site does not have any batter information at all.

VMC3030 - Version:H7

@tttt I don’t believe you can access the websocket from inside Home Assistant but I could be wrong. Usually you login with the backend and open a websocket using the given authentication token (the url is http://your-backend/api/websocket.)

What do you want to do with aarlo_snapshot_image and aarlo_library? I might be able to alter some code to help.

Thanks Steve!

What I’m looking to do is post the videos to slack.
Along with Ring videos, so I can scroll through them all in one place.
I’ve got that working.
Trouble is, on the iOS version of slack, you don’t get a nice preview of the video.
So I figured I’d try to send a thumbnail of the video in the message as well.
Not exactly mission critical, especially if it’s a lot of work to expose these in the aarlo object…!

Exposing the last thumbnail URL would be really easy. It would appear in the attributes along side the last_video_url.

Well, it would be a wonderful thing if it happened to crop up in a future update…
Many thanks Steve, appreciate your hard work!

I just added last_thumbnail to the camera attributes in the latest release: https://github.com/twrecked/hass-aarlo/releases/tag/v0.6.1

Let me know if it helps.

@sytone A couple of things:

1. Can you turn on pyaarlo debug and examine the logs? If you don’t fancy examing them send me a private message and I can take a look. Turn on the debug with:
logger:
  default: info
  logs:
    pyaarlo: debug

The relevant logs (in This text will be hidden/config/home-assistant.log) will look like:

2019-10-16 09:43:19 DEBUG (ArloEventStream) [pyaarlo] set:XXXXXXXXX/batteryLevel=63

And while you’re in there, make sure there are no crashes, look for Traceback

1. Are you comfortable turning on packet dumps? We can really see what’s coming from the backend? Add the following to the config:
aarlo:
  packet_dump: True

You should be able to see batteryLevel in the dump file /config/.aarlo/packet.dump.

Sorry for getting back so late. Haven’t had the problem in last couple of days. But I also reduced the number of mode changes. Previously, I switched modes whenever the front door was opened (to deactivate the front door camera when someone is leaving the house). Maybe this was just too many mode switches. Then it sometimes happened that the mode switches stopped working. Let’s keep fingers crossed that now everything is working fine.

Has anyone been successful to get the live streaming to work in the iOS app (version 1.5)? When I touch the aarlo glance card then the controls in the lower part of the card change as if the streaming has started, but no video is shown. I also get the stop button which I can press and it reverts to the normal idle mode. So all that seems to work but no live stream is shown. Everything works fine on a PC though.

Works like a charm, thank you very much!

Hi, I’m trying to get a motion sensor to start a camera by using an automation. I’ve managed to record to file but it will not appear in my arlo app (only in the path given). To keep it simple what I would like to do is to tell the camera “now you have motion” :slight_smile: Is it possible to do?

@Macke Are you using the camera.record service? That is a home assistant provided service that starts a stream and saves it to a local file. It doesn’t look like a recording to Arlo so doesn’t appear in your library.

I should be able to expose the Arlo record functionality - similar to pressing the record button on the web interface - and that recording should end up in the Arlo library. I’d call it camera.aalro_record.

@ffm777 Would this work for you? You could have an automation that checks for camera motion and when your door is closed start a “real” recording?