Associations explanation needed

I don’t get the association.
Or I’m forgetting between revisits every second year…
Usally, I’ve been able to just copy and paste and do some small changes to get what I want.

But I don’t know what is going on in my setup.
How does this lifline work and what is the difference between endpoint and target endpoint?
Why are there two different lifelines? Should one go? Which one?

Also, I runt three Home Energy Meters from Aeotec.
One of them look like this.
bild

The other two only have the first lifeline. Seems to work though, but shouldn’t they be more or less the same??

Lifeline is the association group nodes use to communicate back to the controller (conventionally Group 1).

Usually it is only necessary to have one association with the controller, but with only a screenshot it’s not possible to tell if there’s any reason there are two.

The Aeotec Energy Meters only have a single association group, the Lifeline. The other groups are a bug. https://github.com/zwave-js/node-zwave-js/issues/6684 I misread the screenshot and it is not related to the referenced bug.

In my screenshot there it says

Max associations: 1
Actual associations: 2

So a good guess is that one of them are redundant. Question is; which?

The only difference is the target endpoint - I don’t get it why it’s the Root Endpoint both as Endpoint and Target Endpoint.

I have a faint recalling this was actually added by me to fix some reporting issues while chatting with the Aeotec tech support.
Can’t recall what I did though but I remember it fixed my issues. Gotta check my notes.

Do you have the DSB09 or ZW095?

The DSB09 device config was imported from OpenHAB, which is where the mistake originates from. The DSB09 manual says there is only 1 group.

The ZW095 is only configured for 1 group, so not sure where the others would come from, unless the device is self-reporting them. Ignore as these points are not relevant to the discussion.

ZW095, all three of them but I only have the NodeID_2 on one of them. It was the most critical one as I used it to load balance my EV charger before the grid company exchanged the electrical central, enabling me to use an off-shelf balancer.

Could you explain what
Endpoint-Group-Node-Target Endpoint means? I know what they are individually but not in the context of the Groups association in Zwave JS as in my screenshots.

What is the device with node ID 2?

Basically you (?) have configured the HEM to send all reports, which is everything given its the Lifeline, to Node ID 2’s multiple endpoints.

Endpoints refer to multiple functions in a single device. For example, for the HEM each clamp is an endpoint. So the meaning of the association depends on what node 2 is.

Also, ignore my comments about the other association groups, that’s not what your screenshot is showing.

Have no idea. Deleted them.

So what is the difference between “Endpoint” and “Target Endpoint”? In my other screenshot this is both “Root endpoint”? And sometimes “None”.

Endpoint is the endpoint of the source node, e.g. clamp 1 of an HEM. Target endpoint is the endpoint of the target node, e.g. you want to control one of the plugs of a powerstrip.

1 Like

I’ve had a power failure, the resulting in a Fibaro Dimmer 2 allowing just 1 association, multiple associations were set earlier. The solution was to re-interview the node. Now I’ve got max 8 again.

However, for some reason the associations with a few dimmers don’t seem to work anymore. I blame the power failure but all devices seem to work fine. If anyone has tips to tackle this, it would be much appreciated.

Did you have to join /re-add anything? What’s the security level of the devices in question?

No, as far as I can see now, I didn’t have to re-add anything. I don’t use security, it creates too much traffic.

Worth mentioning in my case is that whatever I tried, one wall plug was not possible to associate to (from Fibaro Dimmer 2). Once I chose aborter wall plug, things worked out for me.
The bad wall plug was Neo Coolcam, which is already known to be buggy. I guess you could add “secure association” to that list of bugs.