Asus Tinker Board Support for hass.io?

Does it support the built in Bluetooth for presence?

How does it handle unscheduled power outages?

I’m getting fed up of the Pi falling over at random or chewing up the SD card when we get a power-blip. The added performance would obviously be a great help too. I want to get a UPS eventually but taking the SD card out of the equation is my first step.

[…] taking the SD card out of the equation is my first step.

Mine was the same. My second step was to buy a reliable power supply !
I bought an Aukru Micro USB 5v 3000mA (be sure at least to take one at 3A minimum)

How does it handle unscheduled power outages?

According to specifics topics on net, eMMC is more robust and has an integrated load balancer that needs to handle power loss situations gracefully. In any cases, think backup and backup of backup, like every 7d/24h runtime solutions.

Does it support the built in Bluetooth for presence?

Yes and No. The bluetooth component in HA is quite difficult to stabilized.

That’s great, Thanks for the info. I looked at the power supply really early on (3.5amp) so that should be good to go.

I always thought that my wifi got dodgy when I used bluetooth presence on the Pi! Good to know I wasn’t cracking up!
So does that custom component work on the Tinkerboard correctly? (or as expected at least?)

It’s a shame I didnt think about the Tinkerboard over Black-Friday… :frowning:

I do not use bluetoooth for presence so I don’t know. I may try it.
Regarding power outage, in fear of losing my installation, I use an UPS since the begining. So I can’t tell about it (and I will not try :wink: )

I Don’t Blame you! :wink: :smiley:

Nothing to really add here except got a Tinker Board running today, dumping the Pi
Thanks to everyone else commenting in this thread and @makai other thread that let me know not to bother restoring add-ons from snapshot. Switching devices probably took me all of 30 minutes.

Hi folks. Newbie here! I have been trying to get homeassistant installed on my tinkerboard but i am hitting a brick wall straight off the bat.

I have downloaded the tinkerboard image and unzipped, used etcher and booted up. But although it runs through a setup script - and i see it making good progress (though multiple ipv6 hangs) - but nothing happens… its painful.

Does anyone have any advice for best method for asus tinkerboard install?

My tinkerboard is a slightly older v1.2 so only sd card sadly - so is it even possible? I feel it should be - somehow.

Would i be better installing a standard OS then trying to put homeassistant on after?

Thanks for any help/advice :slight_smile:

Hey,

Im planning to get a Tinker Board S due emmc reliability, did you just download the tinkerboard hassos image and burned using etcher? sorry for the basic question never used a tinkerboard…

Also would a 16gbs be enough storage space? Im asking that cuz HASSOS recommends about 32gbs SD so, half of that would be enough?

@beto I installed on a 16GB model, running for ~2 months without any problems. I just downloaded the Tinker Board image and burned with Etcher like you asked. Just like you would an SD card except board is connected to PC by USB instead. It still gets treated as removable storage by Windows.

Yes using etcher as said by @cybergrimes.

Regarding the emmc size, HassOS is currently using 18% with 2 snapshots (40Mb each) and 5 addons (pihole, samba, ssh, duck dns and Configurator).
It has been running for 5 months now without any issue.

By the way, my board has survived 2 power outages without any issue. No database issue and didn’t had to reinstall.
Works great! :wink:

1 Like

Perfect! thanks

Going to order one

Just one information: download and install HassOS 2.6 and do not update to 2.7 or 2.8. There is an issue with latest release where your board will be stuck at boot if you click on the reboot button in the Hassio panel

2 Likes

Updated and got stuck booting. Could not reflash the emmc, was not recognized by pc as storage device. Have not had time to look into it, moved back to rpi for now. Any suggestions on how to get the emmc back?

eMMC’s U-Boot is broken to booting or not built-in the UMS function (e.g. 3rd party custom image).

Can trigger the UMS mode from SD card

1. Flash the Image (with UMS’s U-Boot) to SD card.
  2. Install the SD card to Tinker Board S.
  3. Plug the Jumper on the Maskrom mode .
    (force to boot from SD, jump out the eMMC)
  4. Connect Tinker Board S to PC via Micro-USB, then there will become as USB mass storage on your computer
  5. Then you can flash the eMMC as usual, the old way. (e.g.: win32DiskImager, etcher and so on)
  6. After finish the image flash, unplug the USB from PC and then put the jumper at the “no function” mode.
  7. Plug in the AC adaptor to boot the device
  8. It would boot successfully & create the partitions like a USB drive.
    (please remove other extend device on board)

From here: https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Setup#UMS_from_eMMC

You can download Armbian (no desktop) latest release to burn on the SD card

1 Like

Could not get the procedure to work. Flashed tinkerOS to sd-card. Then dd the hassos image to emmc from tinkerOS desktop. Up and running on tinker again. Thanks.

I really want to jump ship from my pi to this but I feel I need things to mature a bit more. Looks so promising though.

HassOS 2.9 is out. No more issues!

2 Likes

Sorry for the basic question. I’m on a Pi3 with Hass.io. How would I go to HassOS on the TB? I don’t see a download for HassOS on the Home Assistant page.

Try this link.