Asuswrt device tracker is broken - please release a fix

So Asuswrt device tracker is broken and a fix is not expected before 0.83.0

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/18492

Whats the reasoning behind this? A device tracker is a critical component IMO and a fix should be available to everyone ASAP.

“Why don’t you downgrade?” I tried multiple times on hass.io and it broke homeassistant everytime. Had to to a new install on my SD card.

Ah so this is why :slight_smile:
Been trying to find out why my devices stopped being tracked.

I agree totally that the device tracking is a crucial component and I hope it will be fixed soon.

Mine’s still working perfectly on 82.1 which suggests it’s something you’ve done?

Had the same issue as the original poster without any config changes. I’m guessing it was a breaking change in the update. Hopefully fixed soon.

I was having problems with the Asuswrt tracker as well. After messing with it for a day, I found a combination of upgrading from stock to Merlin and enabling ssh shared keys got it working for me.
The tracker is currently working for me on 0.82.1 and hassio.

I’ll just hold tight until the next update and see, checked GitHub and it seem to be a legit problem.

are you using Telnet or SSH?
I’m using Telnet and it’s still not working with Hassbian 0.82.1 here.

Same here, running telnet on Hass.io 0.82.1

SSH, so I guess that explains everyone’s problem :slight_smile:

Are there any advantages in using Telnet …if it worked obviously?

I am using SSH with password and it does not work for me either.

Besides the fact that it was supereasy to set up (no need to hassle with ssh keys and stuff), not that I’m aware of.

Ok thanks, I just used the router login and password, no keys or stuff though.

Going at the normal rate 0.83 is due out two weeks after 0.82. Which is 2 or 3 days away.

PS you do come across as a little self-entitled. You will see that a supposed fix was released in 0.82.1 but some changes were still required. So it is not being ignored.

Self entitled? I’m not the only one with problems and tracking is a core component for presence detection. I never said it was ignored, I said that the priority for releasing a fix should be increased because of the impact.

Is this weekend not soon enough?

1 Like

Think ”little” was a bit of an understatement!

Only seems to be affecting a minority of users or there would be much more chatter on here. No one forced him to update and how much is he paying the Devs for this guaranteed reliability.

Wednesday next week I think. 0.83.0b0 will be out tomorrow if they can’t wait… (They shifted the release schedule by a few days as Balloob is sick of getting hammered on a weekend)

don’t hold your breath for the fix in the next update, and follow discussions on the Github regarding Asuswrt, https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/18593 among others https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/18281. Seen many people downgrade because of the many thought-to-be-fixes for this component. Devs are working on it, unfortunately without final succes yet.

I’ve been holding back updating from 81.6 because of this, and indeed hope this will be fixed soon (asuswrt has had unexpected behavior for a long time).

The problem must be something bad in a router update then, mines on Merlin without issue and that’s how @austinsr fixed his.

I’m also in the “waiting for a fix” boat… just got hass.io all set up and it turns out my router’s presence tracking just got broken… add that to the list with Google Hangouts integration being recently busted and I’m off to a great start :wink: