Asuswrt device tracker is broken - please release a fix

You’ve got the wrong end of the stick, along with @jshands, the HA component IS designed for the official firmware but Asus have mucked it up somewhere which from reading the Merlin threads on the web is a regular occurrence.

The guy who creates the Merlin firmware then fixes what they break. It’s essentially the same thing but more reliable.

I agree Ive had Asus issues before, non related to HA. Could you give me a pointer to those threads, Id been very interested in what’s being exchanged there.
One of the issues is a necessity to regular need to reboot the router, which loses internet connection about every month or so…If that would be solved with the Merlin software, id be ore than interested…

that being said, the firmware of the Asus router hasn’t been updated since a couple of weeks, and the HA updates seem to have caused issues after that. SO I don’t think that has to do with Asus mucking things up.

Has anyone tried if this is fixed now in the latest release?

Still no luck here… everything gets marked as away after initial detection.

I’m on 0.83.2 and have not had any problems - It did take me hours to realize that the component is no longer a “device tracker” but an “all in one”. IE it no longer goes under the Device Tracker heading but under it’s own asuswrt heading. My device tracking seems to work fine and now I also have the added bonus of upload/download speeds etc.

Simon

The update caught out a lot of people…

Could you elaborate a little more? Which Asus Router model…and some code from your configuration.yaml?
I am on the latest HA version and get an error notification stating it’s not configured right…

It seems fairly straight forward:

asuswrt:
host: 192.168.1.1
username: xxxxxx
password: xxxxxx
protocol: telnet

My router doesn’t support .ssh sadly so i have to use Telnet.

thanks

@JanLankhorst - Your configuration looks fine EXCEPT I’m sure I read somewhere that Telnet is either broken or not supported anymore. I use SSH.

that would be a great disappointment…

@JanLankhorst Try add port: 23 to your configuration.yaml

@JanLankhorst i’m having the same issues. did you get it to work?

Nope… I still have to try to add the port like luckies suggested…will do that tonight

I’ ll try, thanks for the suggestion

What this has taught me is that you can rely on just one form of presence detection.
Still broken for me on my Asus RT-AC66U.

I have an RT-AC66U and Merlin as well, which I think doesn’t support SSH. I’ve used telnet successfully in the past but it just doesn’t seem to work on 0.83.2. My config looks the same as @JanLankhorst plus port:23.

Has anyone:

1. got it working with telnet
  2. managed to enable SSH on the RT-AC66U

Got it working with Telnet and official firmware
changed it from “device_tracker:” to “asuswrt:”
after I added : “port:23”

# ASUSRouter
asuswrt:
   host: 192.168.1.1
   username: XXXXXXXXXXX
   password: XXXXXXXXXXX
   protocol: telnet
   port: 23

Correction:
Sensor data is not working : [homeassistant.helpers.entity] Update for sensor.asuswrt_download_speed fails

1 Like

Can confirm. Telnet with port 23 worked for me as well. Now what about the missing features like “consider home”?

1 Like

Now I got it. I needed both asuswrt: and device_tracker:.

EDIT: nope, back to the same issue. The devices are shown as “at home” initially, but then permanently “away”.

All I can see in the logs is a bunch of “Update for sensor.asuswrt_upload fails”.

Anyone else seen the same issue? Anyone solved it?

I get the same errors in my setup. Things seem to work for a very short time after reboot and that is it.

1 Like

Just updated to 0.83.3, and still seeing the same issues. Anyone else?