Asuswrt device_tracker

Hello,
I am new to home assistant and have been trying to get the asuswrt device_tracker working and so far, I haven’t had much luck.
I have it configured as follows:
device_tracker:
- platform: asuswrt
host: 192.168.2.254
username: admin
password: ****
protocol: ssh
track_new_devices: true
interval_seconds: 30
consider_home: 90
When I have it configured as above, I get a 2018-11-13 21:47:45 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker] Unable to load /config/known_devices.yaml: Config file not found: /config/known_devices.yaml
in the log file.
If I enable telnet instead, I get an unhappy python error in the logs. I would prefer to use ssh, but I will use telnet if need be.
I’ve got an Asus RT-AC68U running stock firmware. During testing today, I updated it to current, with no change in results.
If I check the system log on the router, it shows a login from the IP of the raspberry pi running home assistant.
Nov 13 16:47:46 dropbear[7847]: Password auth succeeded for ‘admin’ from 192.168.2.150:52336
I am running Hass.io supervisor 139 , HassOS 1.12 and Home Assistant 0.82.0.

Is there a direction I should be looking in to troubleshoot this? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

If you just installed it and you are using the latest version (0.82.0) then I just saw another post that says the asuswrt device tracker is broken.

If you install the previous version it should work.

Kind of solution: I installed Asus Merlin today and the device_tracker is now working with key based auth.
It seems its only stock Asus firmware that may be broken.

Asus Merlin does not work on 0.82.1 - at least for me…

Here is my config for home assistant and merlin:

device_tracker:

• platform: asuswrt
    host: 192.168.2.254
    username: admin
    ssh_key: /config/ssh/ssh_asus_private_key

Thank you! Previously I was using telnet, now done via ssh and everything is working. And I am using user/pass, not a key.

Hi There,

I am trying to get this setup but I have the following error when I check my config:

Invalid config for [asuswrt]: [track_new_devices] is an invalid option for [asuswrt

I have an Asus RT-AC68U on stock firmware.

Below is the entry in my configuration.yaml:

asuswrt:
host: 192.168.1.1
username: admin68
password: MyPassword

have you looked at the docs for the asuswrt component? there is no option listed there for “track_new_devices”. the asuswrt configuration for the router (the one you are showing) is different than the one for the presence detection component.

That’s what I wondered,

Is this for Asus Routers running Merlin Firmware?

i don’t run merlin on my router but as far as i know it will work on factory or merlin.

It is running on Merlin. I’ve just checked :wink:

Just don’t forget to enable SSH on router as it is not enabled by default.
Telnet was enabled by default.
I’m using it with username & pass without key authentication.

Is asuswrt still working with Merlin? I keep getting an error, using SSH and key auth.

This is how you can setup a device tracker for asuswrt service

device_tracker:     
  - platform: asuswrt
    host: 192.168.1.1
    username: !secret asus_router_username
    interval_seconds: 10
    new_device_defaults:

This is how I have setup device tracker. Hope this helps :slight_smile: