Athom Zigbee Gateway

looking their site for some esp32 wled controller i found this:

seems very interesting standalone gateway

I’m looking at that too. Did you end up getting it?
Been ruining HA for years, but wanting to add some zigbee devices.
I live in a mud brick house so signals do not go through walls very well. I need a zigbee controller that works over ethernet so I can get it in the right place for the best signals.

Has anyone tried it this controller?

I understand you can only have one coordinator, but can this also be used as a repeater for zigbee? I’d need about three or 4 of them at least in my house for coverage…

I have it running for 3 Days now, was not a problem to set up. Most of the devices are working, expect the typical Danfoss Ally Diva which works half of the time, but don’t know I should blame the bridge.

Also FW updates for IKEA and HUE was already succesful

Could you please post your Zigbee2MQTT configuration yaml?
I think mine is right but would be nice to see someone else’s to compare.

Mine is :

data_path: /config/zigbee2mqtt
socat:
  enabled: true
  master: pty,raw,echo=0,link=/tmp/ttyZ2M,mode=777
  slave: tcp-listen:8888,keepalive,nodelay,reuseaddr,keepidle=1,keepintvl=1,keepcnt=5
  options: "-d -d"
  log: true
mqtt: {}
serial:
  port: tcp://192.168.3.235:8888

Just bought one of these. Is there anyway to disable the Wi-Fi?

Connecting via ethernet and Wi-Fi seems crazy as the device has 2 IP addresses and if you don’t connect the Wi-Fi the default unsecured AP stays visible, so anyone with a phone can connect and mess with device.

I want the wired connection IP address to be the MQTT connection, not Wi-Fi.

I think there is a tasmota command to disable wifi, which you can type from the console…

You can also turn off the wifi fall back if it can’t connect to wifi
https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Commands/#wi-fi

Wificonfig 5

That should make it try to connect to the network specified, fail then just wait.

As far as I can see, it won’t advertise the fall back access point because it’s still waiting to connect to the wifi.
(I didn’t tell mine what my wifi is so it doesn’t connect to that either)

There is also wifi 0
But that doesn’t work on this esp chip

did you get it working?

I have the same ( i even copied and pasted yours, updating the IP), and it is not working.

did you have to do anything with the device itself? I have disable Wifi, and only on hard wired.

ta

You’re using it with Zigbee2MQTT, and do NOT have ZHA loaded?
ZHA seemed to conflict with it and cause problems.

hmm. no ZHA.

1. no changes to the zigbee gateway (just set the WIFI, then the wired connection, and i disabled the WifI setoption58 or something)
  2. installed Z2M via addons.
  3. set the config as per above.
  4. zigbee gateway is logging connections on :8888.
  5. Z2M UI never starts.

Not really sure how to even start debugging the install to be honest. the logging leaves a lot to be desired.

Can you share your config?

This is mine:

socat:
  slave: tcp-listen:8888,keepalive,nodelay,reuseaddr,keepidle=1,keepintvl=1,keepcnt=5
mqtt:
  server: mqtt://core-mosquitto:1883
  user: z2m
  password: z2m
serial:
  port: tcp://<IP-ADDRESS>:8888
zigbee_herdsman_debug: true

To be honest, i really have no idea what to add in there.

oops, forgot to tag @ArtyMarty

socat:
mqtt:
  server: mqtt://core-mosquitto:1883
serial:
  port: tcp://192.168.3.235:8888

What else can I think of…
Hmmmm

I do notice that after an update it sometimes takes ages to start up the first time. (I do have a large number of zigbee devices)

Also sometimes I need to reboot homeassistant by going to the terminal SSH screen and typing
ha host shutdown

Then after it’s sutdown, power it on again.
Apparently restarting this way clears out some cache or something that a normal restart does not…

Forgot to tag you too haha @palitu

Hello, I am a technological fan, I am not a programmer, I bought this gateway to have an alternative to the equipment that is not within ZHA and to also have zigbee2mqtt in my same installation, with ZHA I am happy, but the adoption of the equipment is slow.

So I bought it and it requires a certain degree of knowledge to get it started so I want to share my experience of getting it to work… and what not to do (which of course I did)

FIRST COMMANDMENT: DO NOT UPDATE, when you update it you do it with another firmware! I think I should have put autoconfigure, but I didn’t… if you don’t have the problem of having updated it wrong, jump to autoconfiguration, if you made the same mistake as me, I’ll share a post that I followed and it helped me

https://en.athom.tech/forum/main/comment/c2051fa6-8be7-4b19-bdaf-8b140303aad1?postId=63ba0f8191e358001225d5f2

Tristan explains what should be done and I’m going to deepen, for which I’m going to attach two links

https://zigbee.blakadder.com/Athom_ZG01.html

https://templates.blakadder.com/athom_ZG01.html

I linked my briged with Zigbee2mqtt I followed Tristan’s instructions in the first link, in the autoconfigure, put athom zigbee or something like that, he talks about installing a template that appears in the other two published links… but I didn’t know how to execute it , so search and I’ll give you the link on how to enter the template

https://templates.blakadder.com/howto.html

and then in the console execute the command and that’s it…

in the zigbee2mqtt ADDON in HA they go to configuration and I give them the configuration that worked for me… so after reading a lot and understanding (I’m not a programmer) he was able to start zigbbe2mqtt on the bridge

socat:
  enabled: false
  slave: tcp-listen:8485,keepalive,nodelay,reuseaddr,keepidle=1,keepintvl=1,keepcnt=5
  log: false
mqtt: {}
serial:
  port: tcp://ip_your_zigbee_gateway:8888

If ZigbeeMqtt does not start, it is because the port in the Gateway is bad, run the command again, DONE should come out, if not, repeat everything from the beginning… I hope I have helped you… and sorry for my English, it is not my language native and I speak it very Little.

New to Zigbee…

Why is WiFi needed for this device?

I’m looking at purchasing one of these for a remote installation from HA, on a different router and subnet. IP broadcasts don’t make it between the subnets, but there’s no problem will all other IP traffic.

Anyone know if this will work if it’s at a different location than HA?

The ESP chip has WiFi capability - it is not a requirement. Yuu can disable it.

As far as I know you need only unicast TCP connection.

My advice is - go with some other Coordinator!
Athom are providing only Tasmota for this device (you can use the default release, but the Zigbee functionality needs some additional tweaks) - anything else is all DIY, including updates.
Athom will not provide you with a newer release of Tasmota.

Thanks for the response.

Any suggestions for a different coordinator?

I’m going to be using this to only control a single Zigbee smart dimmer plug so I’m trying to keep the costs down. There will be 5 LED lamps connected by extension cord to the single plug.

The other supported Zigbee coordinators are mostly out of stock. Those in stock are either pretty expensive or shipping from somewhere in Europe (I’m in the US.)

A smart, locally controllable WiFi dimmer plug would be ideal, but they don’t seem to exist. The closest thing I can find is a Kasa WiFi device (KP405) but it’s not currently supported by Home Assistant.

I only have it working over ethernet

I had bought Athom Zigbee gateway. But have found discussions are daunting re config. I guess I’ll try to make a go of it anyway. I’m planning to use with just Ethernet, not Wi-Fi.

I’m wishing I had found out earlier about the Zigstar UZG-01 --it’s been getting some really good reviews. Slightly more expensive, but supposed to work really well, and has nice features like POE, ability to reflash, ESPHome, BT Proxy, etc. I’ll definitely be looking at that one if I have issues with Athom ZB gateway.
Review for it is at: https://smarthomescene.com/reviews/zigstar-uzg-01-gateway-review-and-setup-in-home-assistant/

EDIT (Mar 2024)- I ended up buying the ZigStar UZG-01. The Zigbee2MQTT config process wasn’t completely straight-forward for me, but finally got it going, and it provides VERY powerful capabilities. After learning what I did about Z2M, I may someday revisit the Athom gateway to have another Z2M node elsewhere in my system.