Atom M5 Stack Ble proxy detection problems

Hey all,

I’m looking for some guidance as I can’t seem to find an answer anywhere relative to my case. However, if it so happens that this topic has already been discussed, please don’t hesitate to strike me down.

I’ve flashed the atom M5 with the ble proxy from : ESPHome Bluetooth Proxy

The device is added to HA and it is updatable and all. However, no ble devices are being pushed to HA.
In the logs on verbose all I’m getting is the following

[08:39:49][V][esp32_ble:178]: (BLE) gap_event_handler - 3
[08:39:49][V][bluetooth_proxy:058]: Proxying 2 packets

On very-verbose

\xffL
[00:13:08][V][esp32_ble:178]: (BLE) gap_event_handler - 3
[00:13:08][V][bluetooth_proxy:058]: Proxying 1 packets
[00:13:08][VV][api.service:345]: send_bluetooth_le_raw_advertisements_response: BluetoothLERawAdvertisementsResponse {
  advertisements: BluetoothLERawAdvertisement {
  address: 258140539496429
  rssi: -89
  address_type: 1
  data: 'a\xffL

Am I missing something? Do I need to add all devices manually in the config? It’s picking up something but what next? I can find loads of devices when I do a scan with my phone, and in the verbose logs I can sometimes recognise devices as the right name appears, so it is detecting them.
I was under the impression that the proxy should forward to HA and they would appear all willy-nilly.
The config by the way for the M5 is the one from https://github.com/esphome/bluetooth-proxies/blob/6a8885531e6dbd8e49c99567d8d33686032b0c4b/m5stack-atom-lite.yaml

Cheers and thanks for your time.

Do you have any devices that actually integrate with HA? There seems to be a common misconception that BT Proxy works with EVERYTHING when in reality it only works with things that integrate with HA (either natively or via a custom integration).

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, what is throwing me off is that my logs look like nobody else in that the Mac address actually appears and is in the right format.

Going back to your question, I was under the impression that it could track ble tags for presence detection etc. Maybe it’s because I don’t have bt devices that don’t integrate with HA? If this is a common misconception, probs a good idea to update the docs :smiley:
Thanks anyhow

Are you talking about actual iBeacon tags/pucks made for tracking or just like a device that happens to have BT?

For instance, if I scan for BT devices with my phone I will see TONS of them. But only the handful of devices that have an integration (including iBeacons) in HA show up via my BT Proxies.

How do you integrate these devices in HA? Sending the BT/BLE signals to HA is doing nothing without any integration. :slight_smile:

The normal way how this should work would be that your ESP is sending the data to HA, there you need the Bluetooth integration to receive the signals and then you need an integration to actually do something with the data, like the iBeacon integration. Is this the way you’re doing it? If not, how do you do it or how do you want it to work?

Is there any reason why my logs look different and it’s not giving the mac address in a standard format?

I can’t even set up the Bluetooth integration on HA. Says there’s no adaptor.

turns out it was working all along.