August Smart Lock Pro - Bluetooth HomeKit Integration w/ Home Assistant?

Hello all,

I recently purchased an August Smart Lock Pro + Connect Wi-Fi Bridge. I decided on this particular unit because I know it will integrate with my Abode Iota security system, which is currently on its way. I am hoping to connect the August lock to the Abode system over Z-Wave, then to also connect the August lock to Home Assistant over HomeKit using the HomeKit Controller integration (this is so I can have local control of the smart lock). I believe the August Smart Lock Pro communicates with HomeKit over bluetooth. Has anybody had success with HomeKit pairing the August Smart Lock Pro to Home Assistant HomeKit controller over bluetooth? I want to stay best of both worlds and have the alarm system fully monitored and separate from Home Assistant, but still have control of the smart lock from Home Assistant. Thank you.

1 Like

I have not tried the homekit connection recently but with the new Bluetooth integration I was able to setup mine with the Yale access. Unless the lock is really close I would recommend a long range adapter for sure.

Only issue I have with the Yale access is it does not show battery.

Both Homekit and Yale Access (Bluetooth) do not yet show battery level for the August Locks.
I personally can’t get Homekit to work successfully anyway and get an error when trying to lock and unlock, but I can 100% confirm that no battery sensor is created.
I have kind of dodged it up using my old August Connect, which is unreliable but shows the battery in Home Assistant and take the battery from the August integration and use Yale Access to lock and unlock the door. Unfortunately this approach means it is slower to respond to lock and unlock commands as sometimes the bluetooth is in use with communication to the Connect, but the lock and unlock is reliable.
If you are using an August lock with Bluetooth, in my opinion, you are better to use the Yale Access integration instead of using it via HomeKit if the August z-wave is still broken.

I finally got around to trying this out last week, and my results were the exact same as Brendan’s. The HomeKit Controller integration did not work (see here). For local control, you are stuck either using the Yale Access integration (which uses BLE and for some reason is quite slow) or Z-Wave.

1 Like

So if I understand correctly, you can control control August Smart Lock Pro via HomeAssistant without connect bridge directly with bluetooth?