Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Can you confirm if the Kogan plugs with the USB ports have a local on/off button (like the gen1 version) It’s not overly clear from the photos or specs

@kanga_who, @sparkydave - not sure if you guys have any of these also who might be able to confirm?

Yes, it’s on the bottom of the plug.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming :+1:

1 Like

Hi @oscill8ory this is awesome. I was looking into the same.
How is it working on your wall? Does this supports a 2way switch (eg: I have a traditional clipsal 2 way switch off/on stairs light from downstairs and upstairs. Can I do the same using Deta 6912HA Switch?) Which tasmota bin file did you use? Can I use esphome instead to flash? What I understood is VCC is the top hole and GRD in the bottom hole. Which ones are TX and RX?

The electrician I called to hookup a sonoff mini to a normal switch fried 2 devices due to not understanding L-in and L-out properly. So I would like to find out things my self first then call electrician (just because they are certified) and if he/she can’t figure out (I am not very optimistic in this case) I can inform him exactly how.

Traditional electricians are not really uptodate with smart home devices yet (hopefully in near future it will be a norm).

One of my best friends is an electrician. He was around here yesterday afternoon for a seasonal beer etc. He looked at HA on my laptop browser and started to ask what it was. He looked harder and realised it was some sort of home automation. “Oh, you’re one of those people” he said. My wife laughed…

5 Likes

Hi Ali, I’ve actually only just had it installed in the last few weeks. I’m not sure if it would work as a two way switch, although I suspect it would if your electrician knew what they were doing. You might need to do something clever with Tasmota rules or in Home Assistant to make it understand the two-way switch though. I haven’t experimented with ESPHome so am not sure if it would work, but again, I suspect it would. You can find the schematic of the TYWE3S module here to see which pin is which.

Currently mine is running Tasmota 6.6.0. I actually have it configured with a couple of light sockets that have Brilliant Smart globes which are also running Tasmota. I have the switch configured to send an MQTT command to the globes to turn them on in response to short press, rather than switching the relay. On a long press, the relay is toggled. This gives me a bit more flexibility. I’ll try to write a blog post about that at some point.

My electrician knew what he needed to do, and set them up correctly first try. As I had already flashed them with Tasmota and configured them, they instantly connected to my WiFi and were functional. He was pretty impressed with how quickly they were up and running. I set them up in Home Assistant over the following few days.

I’ve been pretty happy with it so far. From an ergonomic and aesthetic point of view I think I prefer the Brilliant Switches, but as they have a separate MCU I’m not sure if I can set it up the way I have done with the DETA switch. I plan to do some more experimentation, but that’s a job for another day…

I’m looking at (been requested) to replace some existing Osram Zigbee downlights at my parents house, so will have approx 12-14 GU10 bulbs and an Osram gateway to get rid off. The bulbs do work with the Zigbee2mqtt gateway if that is of any interest.

All working perfectly well, so if someone may want them, send me a PM with an offer. I think I have about 4-6 extra bulbs stashed as well, so more if needed.

I have two Mitsubishi split systems and do exactly this. Cost me $10 to have full local wifi control of them :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a Daikin split system with the wifi option. Works with great with home assistant. https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/daikin/

1 Like

Very good build quality I am planing on getting some for my place soon.
Not sure when the fan controller will be out but was told they are working on it.
Like many Zigbee products they use the hue bridge instead of producing their own.
Price is good for Zigbee, about 50% more than brilliant smart products.

Would Stitchy devices work with DeCONZ or zigbee2mqtt? From what I can tell, neither have the definitions for Stitchy devices.

zigbee2mqtt supported devices
deCONZ supported devices

Having said that, it looks like you can easily get new devices added.

Yale sell one but it is expensive.

I have found the OEM in Taiwan though, they supply all of Yale’s Zigbee equipment.

http://www.climax.com.tw/

How is your WiFi coping with all those devices hanging off it. Must be starting to slow down.

100 clients across 4 APs is fine. The load is pretty low.

lol yep four AP’s

1 Like

I have 1 AP AC-Lite, no problems.

Unifi AC APs have a 127 client hard coded limit per radio (127 for 2.4GHz + 127 for 5GHz). While this may be fine for IoT devices that use bugger all bandwidth this is not a practical limit if your clients are mobile phones streaming HD video.

1 Like

Great job @oscill8ory, this worked for me and was my first tuya-convert. It also included a few trips to JayCar to get parts etc (yeah I could have got them on eBay, but for a Xmas based project nothing beats having the part in my hand there and then). I feel like I have just got my hands dirty and will be looking for the next item I can convert and add to home assistant :wink:

1 Like

I picked up one of the Arlec 45cm fans today. I tuya converted by accident (I was trying converting another device, I had left it turned on but never tried to put it in pairing mode). It stills works from it remove. I’m guessing I need to use the tuyaMCU commands to operate this fan. I’ll start/try decoding it tomorrow, never done this before.

I now have this fan working with HA, using a similar setup as https://templates.blakadder.com/goldair_sleepsmart_GCPF315.html, I don’t like it, as it only gives 3 of 6 speeds (that goldair fan has 12 speeds), it seems to be a limit of mqtt fan component. I’l see if I can so a fan template to call mqtt to work around this.

Aside, I don’t think I would recommend this fan. The slowest speed is quite, but all other are loud. There is also a rattle in oscillate mode.

Thanks so much, bought one because of this. Will be able to free up a couple of my smart plugs for other devices!

1 Like