Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

They definitely have to have the RCM marked on them by the manufacturer or importer, and there are particular requirements on how the mark is displayed. See AS/NZS 4417

I’ll just put this here:

No need to buy from Europe. I believe they will have the other Shelly devices soon.

3 Likes

Did you ever find any photos?
I’m in the same position and haven’t been able to find any teardowns of them.

Unfortunately not. I’m sure there were some on here at some stage but I didn’t find them. I am hoping to get time to pull one apart today or tomorrow. I’ll post photos when I do.

EDIT: Got one open…

2 Likes

It’s almost like they don’t want us to open these up for some reason.

1 Like

I know right… So I included the tape measure so everyone can see the positioning of the retainer tabs. The biggest issue is that I think they glue the two parts together, so that needs to be cleared out first.

I have it ready to flash but getting access to I/O 0 to put it in flash mode is difficult.

EDIT: even with GPIO 0 tied low at boot I can’t seem to get it to flash. It just times out. Trying a second time without rebooting gives me an ‘access denied’ error. So it still doesn’t seem to be booting into flash mode

Probably means the chances of doing damage to the board is high as well.

Much cheaper to buy from Europe. I don’t mind reasonable pricing, but that looks like a price premium, aka gouging.

Thanks the pictures made it a lot easier knowing where the clips were.

They went a step further with mine and covered the back of the chip with silicon to cover gpio 0.

Those cases look ultrasonically welded. You can sometimes crack the welds with a careful squeeze in a a vice.

Can you confirm if these plugs have usable power monitoring capability? Quick look on DeconZ support page shows it apparently gives the the values, but the linked GH Issue seems to indicate its not accurate.

Same question - and … do you use deconz or Z2M ?

I am using Z2M and the three entities which show up are Link Quality, Power (W) and the switch. I can’t confirm if the power monitoring is working as I don’t have have anything connected to them, just using it as a router at this stage.

I’m keen to hear if you manage to flash it because I can’t get mine to connect

They are fairly accurate. I use ZHA

1 Like

Thanks, I lost a Gen1 Kogan plug couple of days ago… looking at replacement options.

Considering either these or using local tuya. Plus is zigbee based, but not as compact, or as asthetically pleasing as the gen2 kogans :rofl:

Have you considered Local Tuya as an option vs flashy flashy ? Not sure if you have non-flashed ones to test with.

I have four Kogan Gen 1’s if you want to make me an offer?

whilst temping… this one one poped at 13months… and knowing @sparkydave’s track record… i feel the quality of the gen1 plugs are lacklusture… so i’ll just be buying new ones again in about a years time. :man_shrugging:

Yep, almost all my Gen 1’s have shat themselves. Stay away from them if you have the choice.

According to Kogan… this product has “lasted a reasonable amount of time” :man_shrugging:

Given the time that has passed since this product was purchased, any issues are likely to be the result of wear and tear through regular use.

Please note that due to the age and price of your product, this is no longer covered by the Kogan.com Minimum Voluntary Warranty Policy. We believe that the product has lasted a reasonable amount of time and that the statutory guarantees afforded to you as an Australian consumer no longer apply.

For these reasons, I apologise that I am unable to assist in providing a remedy to this issue.