Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

correct, I really do not see any electric safety issue. I am not using any 240V powered devices, only Zigbee sensors, switches, etc

So the switches are not connected to the mains?

no, may be switch is a misleading term. I am referring to Aqara mini wifi switch , basically a push button switch to turn on / off lights remotely

Then you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the kudos.

Home battery storage and home assistant are an interesting mix. Home Assistant of course encourages local monitoring and direct control, but a lot of the battery vendors discourage this level of access. 3rd party integration is important so should be considered in your battery selection.

Tesla Powerwall2, which I have, is clearly the market leader in terms of an integrated solution but the level of control is quite limited. Both the local and cloud API are limited in what they can do, and are not officially supported. So a great battery but not so great for the 3rd party integration.

Other battery solutions stand out for allowing 3rd party integration and having a documented API. A lot of these use the industry standard MODBUS protocol for communications so it is open and you know it will continue to work into the future.

Victron stands out as a versatile solution, but others may have recommendations for other systems that support 3rd party integration.

The basic control functionally you should seek is charge and discharge on demand, via (ideally a local API or ModBus) interface.

There are some examples of what people are doing with batteries on this community and some Facebook groups.

fronius soft limit

Facebook groups.

• Amber electric users group
  • My efficient electric home

Correct, the stuff on Aliexpress is not certified to Australian standards. In general there is a lot of cheap knockoff junk on Aliexpress, you don’t want it to go into your wall and cause a fire.

Do you know whether these Clipsal Iconic Zigbee mechs connect/work with the Phillips Hue hub?

While what you say is true, the unofficial custom Tesla integration is great for cars and supports powerwall. I don’t have a powerwall so can’t comment, but the car integration seems well implemented and is maintained. However, of course, it can’t work with what Tesla don’t provide.

I would be interested in what the other battery providers give via modbus. The powerwall gives

• Binary sensors - Powerwall charging and grid status.
  • Selects - grid charging, export rule and operation mode.
  • Sensors - solar power, grid power, load power, battery level, battery Wh remaining and backup reserve.

I am looking for a power plug and know there have been some conversation about this topic but with 4700+ comments it is hard to keep up with what is working and what is not.

Like a lot of people here I have had cheap ass ones, I had been using the ones from Jaycar and ALL of them have died. I have a TP-Link Kasa with PM in my laundry and it is working a treat and has been for a number of years, but finding Kasa plugs is hard.

So do we have a reference somewhere of what we know works and what doesn’t?

No sorry I don’t

As you note, the KASA ones are difficult to get hold of - and they were definitely my favourites.

They have a TAPO line that I recently started using a they were cheap and if they end up being a problem I’m happy to chuck them.

There’s a custom integration for them available through HACS. It needs to have access to your tapo cloud account for authentication control is done locally.

Well, its been 18 months since I got this socket. Seems to have latest longer than the Kogan ones, however this is on my computer, so for a lot of the time, it doesn’t have a lot of power running though it.

Hi All, hoping there’s some experience here with addressable LED strip lighting.

To prove that it looks ‘good’. I’ve grabbed an Arlec RGBW strip light from bunnings and set it up in Home Assistant using Local Tuya. Hooray, it works and it actually looks pretty great.

Now I want to install something a bit more permanent and not a double sided tape solution.

I’ve found these - LED Aluminium Extrusion Profile for LED strip lights - LED EXPO Australia which would hold the strip nicely, but what actual strip lighting, power supply and controller are people recommending that is Aus certified and HA compatible? Ideally, zigbee connected but I can see this might need to be a wifi solution.

I want to do addressable so I can split it in to sections for rangehood, coffee machine, food prep etc, along with automations to run them.

I would have another look at for example Ebay where you can get the same stuff for half or a third of the price.

There is a wide range of options when it comes to individually addressable LED strips and I usually buy from BTF-Lighting on AliExpress - 5V vs 12V, RGB vs RGBW, number of LEDs per metre, waterproofing or not. As controller you can make your own using an ESP32 and run ESPHome or WLED on it, and off-the-shelf there are for example some Athom controller or QuinLED. That leaves the power supply as the only part that really needs certification, and I usually buy a generic one that matches the required voltage and wattage for the specifc LED strip and controller, for example from Amazon or Aus Electronics Direct, and which come with a 2.1/2.5mm plug.

1 Like

Brilliant info, thank you - in my searching since posting this I had found my way to BTF-lighting, and had also discovered the QuinLED controllers, since WLED seems the way to go but avoid quite a bit of fuss. I hadn’t seen the athom controller yet but I do like the idea of a packaged and sealed unit for the more complete looking install.

Yes you’re quite right, the power supply is the part that should be certified and I can easily get that locally, just need to choose strip density and source the appropriate power for it. I haven’t seen any colour temp controllable white addressable light strips. RGB is something I don’t really need, but it might be what I go for as that’s what most of the products cover. Little to no interest in making our kitchen colourful, just uniform nice lighting.

you ever get a change to test these ones out?
I never heard back from the store about features etc.

If you are primarily interested in white light, then I would recommend looking at the SK6812 flavour which has a dedicated white channel (in addition to RGB).

And just another idea as an alternative: If you don’t need all those fancy colourful effects that WLED and individually addressable strips offer, but just need a segmented white light, then you could also use a Shelly RGBW2, configure it for 4 separate channels, and connect up to 4 different strips.

SK6812 looks good - I’m slowly starting to figure out the difference between each. I have a 2.5m run, so 60/m looks around the right density for a 5V strip. It’s a bit confusing that the SK6812 comes with different colour temperature whites - Was hoping for tri-colour white. You’ve been a big help thanks.

I like the idea of WLED over Shelly. WLED gives the flexibility to split an addressable array in to as many segments as I like which will work quite well for our kitchen. Effects are fun too but not something we ‘need’.

Does anyone know what light switches (preferably push button) are tasmota compatible these days? Would like to setup some with devgroups to increase WAF :grin: