Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

I’m catching up a bit on the state of things with libretiny and cloudcutter.

I understand this takes us back to the good old Tuya-Convert days.

I was wondering if people could drop some examples of devices they’ve successfully used this for recently?

Particularly interested if this changes what is available in the smartplug range for running ESPHOME. Like stuff from Bunnings etc.

Have done some Arlec ALD092CHA and ALD095HA downlights. Was much easier than I anticipated.
Aiming to do some plugs in a week or so.

1 Like

I have done a couple of Aldi Casa downlights with cloudcutter without issue. The old Tenda Beli SP3 smart plug with an RTL8710BX module was done via serial with a lot of help from the Libretiny folks.

1 Like

Not only that but I think (I’d have to confirm though) that it’s illegal for an Australian seller to sell non-certified products in Australia. If it’s true, they would only be getting around this by virtue of being a Chinese company, but surely a very dodgy grey area.

EDIT: It would appear that some states don’t have to comply…
https://www.eess.gov.au/equipment/selling-electrical-equipment-in-australia/

https://www.eess.gov.au/about/participating-jurisdictions/

Having said that…

eg:

1 Like

Hi @gaz99 have you heard any more on this one ?

I purchased a single, and a 4-pack of Arlec PC191HA smart power plugs from bunnings.
Back in May '22 I joined the Energy consumption and Arlec Grid Connect (Tuya) smart plug thread running TuyaLocal on them.
In March '23 I was delighted to convert two Arlec PC191HA units to ESPHome - OTA ! I used CloudCutter, LibreTuya and the libretuya-esphome fork of ESPHome to install a basic ESPHome firmware.

I have 3 still running Tuya (swapped from LocalTuya to the TuyaLocal integration), and 2 running ESPhome. There are some differences in what is exposed, as shown in my post Energy consumption and Arlec Grid Connect (Tuya) smart plug - #68 by donburch888

A couple of months back libretuya was merged into ESPHome, so no special version is needed.

1 Like

huh I would think even NSW participates (me being in sydney and all currently)… that said it’s more a hazard prevention deal even if your state is not currently listed… I have enough anxiety about the hoarding of one of my neighbors in my block so yea still going to try find compliant zigbee plugs and swap over when I can.

Currently use the leonvo tuya based ones for the rest of the stuff (just want to move away from non local calls for usage and the pain that is trying to get tuyalocal version setup after that 3 month timer on the dev portal ran out).

There is a way to do it via bluestacks and an older app version but I don’t know if that is still viable to do to get the local keys and id’s for devices on the account to get around that 3 month period lock on the portal.

Which one ??

:frowning: thought it would link it

The Emerald Smoke Alarms and integrating with hassio :slight_smile:

Nice. That’s got me curious.

Do you know how they stack up lifetime wise?
Is that the best thread to read for that topic do you know?

I had completely forgotten about this and have just sent them a reminder.

Thanks
Can you share the email address, and I can also harass them
Looking at putting about 6 into my place, and look to be the most cost effective

Interesting. From a quick look at their website, the alarms are RF, and their gateway is wifi?

I think I used their support page initially but the address the support reply came from is: [email protected]

The ones I asked about are zigbee. Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware - #4618 by wrcvr4

There seems to be two, a RF (either battery or hardwired (separate devices)), and then a hybrid which is either battery or hardwired in the same device
I didnt know anything about zigbee until @gaz99 mentioned it :wink:

Also I have not confirmed if the hybrid works with safelink (wifi bridge) yet

No worries - couldn’t find anything about zigbee devices on their site so was confused.

Definitely keen on a battery powered zigbee one if it exists… though may end up just buying a cupla Nest ones from overseas to supplement the hardwired ones that meet the minimum specs.

I’d be looking for a different smoke alarm, the Emerald EMS folks replied to my followup with the same info as 18 months ago:

Unfortunately, the Emerald App doesn’t have it yet, and it also doesn’t support integration with other Home Automation Systems or another data collecting platform.

However, our development team is looking for a way to further improve the Emerald App and our products with the help of your ideas and suggestions.

1 Like

That’s a shame.

At $70 it is almost worth buying one to see wow it is seen by ZHA and Z2M.

This one says its rf interconnected but ?
Did they tell you it uses zigbee to interconnect and connect to the gateway ?

Also if you click on it, it shows the rf ranger when you go to buy it