Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

I have tried this and it didnt work at all on the Brilliant Smart switch mech, but I am also confused what your code is doing. I thought that platform “tuya” was for the tuya component that is for Tuya devices that are connecting to the Tuya cloud servers, not ones running esphome, what am I missing?

I’ve had luck with these in 1 and 2 gang from Amazon. Set them up in Tuya app and just integrate into HA. No flashing required, if that’s the way you want to go.

I’ve just had a Kogan LED strip and a couple more Kogan smart plugs (2x USB version) arrive. I managed to tuya-convert the plugs without a problem and then install ESPHome, but the LED strip has come up with DECRYPTION_FAILED_OR_BAD_RECORD_MAC error in the PSK logs (relevant issue here). From looking at a couple of issues on tuya-convert’s github it looks like this means it’s running the newer firmware which blocks the OTA conversion, or has anyone here managed to get around it?

An alternative could be to hook the strip up to a Shelly RGBW2, has anyone done that successfully?

The tuya component is named that way because tuya started using the method, but many other devices use the technique.

Basically it is a chip that communicates with the esp chip via serial, and then communicates with the actual controlled hardware (eg bulb, dimmer, relay…)

Nick is correct. That component is required in your ESP config for your device.

here is a full device config. Modify as required.

esphome:
  name: master_bedroom_light
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "Master Bedroom Light"
    password: "fallbackpasswordhere"

captive_portal:

# Make sure logging is not using the serial port
logger:
  baud_rate: 0
  level: NONE

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:
  password: !secret homeassistant_password

ota:
  password: !secret homeassistant_password

# My dimmer used the hardware serial port on the alternate pins
uart:
  rx_pin: GPIO3
  tx_pin: GPIO1
  baud_rate: 9600

# Register the Tuya MCU connection
tuya:

# Make the light
light:
  - platform: "tuya"
    name: "Master Bedroom Light"
    dimmer_datapoint: 2
    switch_datapoint: 1
    default_transition_length: 0s
    min_value: 80
    max_value: 200

Thanks guys, that works perfectly with the Brilliant Smart switch mech (part 21322). I will upload to https://esphome-configs.io/

1 Like

Just to clarify; these will convert (almost any) fan into a ‘smart fan’, right?

What’s the advantage/disadvantage of this considering these are half the cost the Brilliant Fan Switch?

I guess it depends on your needs, i.e. what you are replacing. Either the controller is built into the wall switch like the Deta one, or the controller is mounted into the fan’s canopy at the ceiling and you get an RF remote control like in the case of the Brilliant one.

Hey K-1 and diramu

I am trying to do this with the same Brilliant Smart dimmer mech and it always get the " device did not appear with the intermediate firmware" message. Was there any trick to it? I assumed you used OTA to do it, since you didnt mention opening it up.

Does anyone know if these connect smart bulbs can be flashed with tuya convert?

They are $15 at HN at the moment, thanks.

Having used Tuya-convert successfully on a few different grid Connect devices from Bunnings over the past few months, I decided to purchase the Arlec Smart 2m LED Strip light and see if i could flash that OTA as well. At under $40 it was a bargain compared to the Hue LED strips I’ve purchased in the past.

I’ve not had any luck and wanted to ask if anyone else has had success or if anyone has tried to open the plug and use a USB/Serial setup to update it to Tuya?

The part number of the light strip is ALD233HA.

Thanks
Borto

Took a gamble & these can be converted. Although it took a few goes, the manual says you need to press a reset button to get it into smart wifi mode but there is no button however 6 flicks of the power did the trick.

Just tried to flash one OTA but it seems like it is unable to get the intermediate firmware onto it. Did you have any issues? Updated Tuya Convert and Pi to the latest versions.

Referring to these https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smarterhome-smart-led-downlight-rgb-cool-warm-white-4-pack/?utm_campaign=personalised_wishlist_monthly&utm_source=kogan&utm_medium=email

I dont actually have those particular downlights, but they were listed as having been flashed by others.

Ok. I did some research and it appears I have hit the problem which a lot of users are seeing with newer firmware on the Tuya devices and being unable to flash them.

I guess you will need to crack them open. If they are similar inside to the Zemismart units it shouldn’t be too hard. Hopefully Tuya-Convert will get an update to beat the new firmware

Hi @coffeesnob
Did you have any luck sorting this out? I have the new 99333 controller as well, and wondering if Tasmota is possible to get on it fully working or not. Cheers!

First I’ve seen of these. Are these new?

Brilliant Smart WiFi Controlled Heater Bathroom 3in1 with Exhaust and LED

1 Like