Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

… wow. Glad I don’t have them in my 3 gang switch box haha

Yeah that’s also my concern - because I’d have 3x 2.5 close together in the wall.

I actually didn’t think of temperature before I had mine in the walls, so I guess I lucked out

Related to Shelly discussion … this seems pretty cheap for in-country Shelly 1 ($23.99 shipped)

Has anyone configured a fibaro or aeotec pick with long press detection without toggling the relay?

I’d like to have single press operate the switch as normal, and then long press wouldn’t toggle the light, but would control some smart bulbs in some lamps

I haven’t been able to do it. I did some googling myself and it seems like it’s expected behaviour.

I’ve just bit the bullet and set it so the automation that is fired when the switch is long pressed toggles the light status and pretend it’s a signal that the command has been received.

Seems there are changes to flashability of devices. Anything still available in a smart plug with power metering that can be flashed? Or should I just go with the TP-LINK HS110?

I got a couple of those in early January and they were tuya converted. No guarantee that new stock hasn’t blocked that.

The new TP-Link KP115 are much more compact than the HS110 units.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/tp-link-kasa-kp115-smart-plug-with-energy-monitoring_p0247164

2 Likes

Can the TP-LINK devices all be run locally only? I thought I saw a post about a firmware update that might have changed that?

This is one hell of a thread.
Is there a google doc or something we can pin with a list of good stuff?

4 Likes

Yes, the TP-Link devices can be run locally.

I followed the discussion about the firmware that killed local control pretty closely as I’ve got quite a few of them. That firmware never made it to the Australian variants it seems as they always said they were up to date. TP-Link offered a custom update that restored local control in the end to the UK users.

Since then TP-Link seem to be more open to working with Home Assistant;

2 Likes

Fan Controllers?

I have had to replace some of my fans (include a light) in my house and my Wife is very particular on the type of fans that we get. We have Fanaway Evo 1 that include a remote control, I wanted them without the remote, but alas that does not exist on this model.

Thus I am looking for a wifi remote to replace the ones included with the device, from what I have read, the Brilliant WiFi Remote seems to be the go to device.

Can anyone confirm that either the Brilliant is the device to use, or that their may be an alternative, the features of the fan are three (3) speed and the LED has three (3) colour settings.

Cheers.

I’ve got four of these and they’ve been working well for the past year or two. At the time they converted fine with tuya-convert. Not sure if that has changed with more recent versions.

It would only support light on/off though. Not multiple colours.

1 Like

Of the 8 that I bought back over a year ago, I have 1 that is still alive. They all suffered the same fatal circuit board smoke release as per my autopsy findings.
Unfortunately the new V2 models can’t be flashed OTA and are a nightmare to open up. Even then I haven’t been able to flash one with a serial converter.

Not really, slightly warm but certainly not a concern.

Very much so. Dimmers ‘chop up’ the AC wave into small chunks such that the average voltage is reduced such that you get a dimmer light. This process generates heat.

A relay has very low resistance contacts and should not generate heat, in an ideal world.

I’ve resorted to LocalTuya for the V2s for now.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the pointer. After 2 months of staring at this paperweight on my desk I finally decided to do some exploration with the multimeter to find the easiest points to solder. thankfully everything apart from Rx was available on an easier pin to solder to (my skills are not up to much with the soldering iron). See photo below

With a bit of messing around trying to ground GPIO0 (pin head sized terminal on the flat of the chip tucked in behind the little transformer thing) I managed to flash.

Bit of a pain and OTA would certainly have been nicer but now works a charm. Unlikely to buy again due to hassle factor though…

FYI: Lifx switch recall.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/lifi-labs-management-pty-ltd-lifx-switch-models-lfswwht4fau-and-lfswblkt4fau

1 Like