Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Since we’re already talking about custom builds: I have just recently purchased some dual USB charger sockets that you might normally install in a car and that take 12V DC input, so mounted them into a simple plastic box and connected to a standard 12V power supply. This is now charging the components of my weather station on the roof.

Yeah that’s one thing that shits me to tears about trying to put in wall plate chargers years ago when I built this house. Very few actually did 2x2.4A.

1 Like

These are the ones I’m using:

4.8A @ 5V total.

I really wanted USB C as well but these are complete garbage:

Slightly too big to fit in a standard Gyprock backing plate and despite their certification they just feel “cheap”.

Ideally I’d like dual USB A, one USB C and dual switched zigbee sockets.

2 Likes

Greetings,

Searched around but couldn’t find any info, so figured I’d ask. I am looking for a smart plug with energy monitoring so I can interface it with the HA Energy Dashboard. Has anyone had any experience with interfacing the Brilliant Lighting Smart WiFi Plug with Energy Monitoring units into the HA Energy monitor?

Thanks in advance. Mark

Yes, they can be flashed with Tuyaconvert and you can put Tasmota or ESPHome on them for the ultimate local control. There are templates in this topic.

Hi Tom,

Thank you. Purchased a Brilliant Plug today… now all I need to do is not ‘brick’ it whilst trying to upgrade it :laughing:

Thanks, Mark

Well, I got a present for New Years, one more Kogan failed. THis one was connected to my TV. I was home and noticed the TV going off and on, and then checked the plug and it was gone. Again, the power and wifi no longer works, but the USB ports are fine. So I now have 3 essentially dual USB plugs.

I still have 2 left, but these ones have not been continually on for the past 12 months. I am only using them for xmas lights… Also these are running tasmota, whilst the others were running ESPHome, but I don’t think the software should be the issue, since the light and the physical button stop working…

I am thinking of maybe getting some sort of whole house power monitoring… I was looking at the IOTAwatt, but its out of stock for AUS

So what would most people recommend, for a whole house power monitoring. I live in Victoria, if that makes a difference to my power meter

Hi Ryan @ryanbeaton,

Am a late starter to the BL20925 party. Am wondering if you used esphome, and if so would you consider providing me with a copy of the esphome yaml config you used for your washing machine?

Thanks in advance, Mark

Hi Mark @gregoinc
Sorry I used Tasmota but this one looks good

PS: It’s still going strong :slight_smile:

Hi Ryan,

Thank you so much for that, really do appreciate it.

Thanks, Mark

Maybe this for starters: Claim your FREE smart energy monitor in Victoria today!

Not in Vic so no idea how good it is, a mate has one.

Gaz

Hi @tom_l,

You mentioned before you integrated your heatpump into HA? What kind of interface it has? Is it ModBus?

Cheers,
Alex.

Daikin, so no, not Modbus.

Thanks for the quick reply. Friend of mine asking to help with heated floor system automation which only has ModBus interface so I am trying to find examples how it could be done =)

1 Like

Seems the Brilliant Plug I purchased (model: 20925) has a later firmware version on it… according to tuya-convert the firmware is too new to be updated.

Oh well, will need to look at other options as I am not comfortable pulling it apart to do the update via serial. Back to the drawing board :thinking:

Here’s the dump from tuya-convert…

======================================================
Starting smart config pairing procedure
Waiting for the device to install the intermediate firmware
Put device in EZ config mode (blinking fast)
Sending SSID                  vtrust-flash
Sending wifiPassword          
Sending token                 00000000
Sending secret                0101
SmartConfig complete.
Resending SmartConfig Packets
SmartConfig complete.
SmartConfig complete.
SmartConfig complete.
SmartConfig complete.
SmartConfig complete.
SmartConfig complete.
SmartConfig complete.
SmartConfig complete.
SmartConfig complete.
Timed out while waiting for the device to (re)connect
Attempting to diagnose the issue...
Your device's firmware is too new.
Tuya patched the PSK vulnerability that we use to establish a connection.
You might still be able to flash this device over serial.
For more information and to follow progress on solving this issue see:
https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert/wiki/Collaboration-document-for-PSK-Identity-02
Do you want to try flashing another device? [y/N] 

Hi @markpurcell
Are you able to provide more details on how you got yours setup ?
I have my data coming in via modbus, but see negative values in my graphs, so need to try and tweak it a bit

Hi @KablammoNick
Did yoiu get anywhere with this ?

I’m also looking for 2 of these, where I can trigger the 2nd light if the PIR on the other is triggered, so need the PIR status in HA

Other option I’m thinking is the Mercator zigbee floodlight with a separate PIR’s and trying to pair them together for if HA is down

It’s probably even worse than that. My latest order from Officeworks came with non-flashable chips, i.e. not ESP. I’ve ordered some TYWE2S modules that are supposed to be pin-compatible, but need serial flashing and then some soldering work.

Just got few 20925 from OfficeWorks in Perth - the same problem as above @gregoinc mentioed above, complaining for too new firmware. Assuming new wifi chip. So whats will be cheapest WiFi/Zigbee plug with energy monitoring at the moment? Ideally Tuya convertible.

I think we’ve run out of options in this country. I was already contemplating of going back to Z-Wave ones, but the ~$90 per pop were the original reason I never bought more of them… :frowning: