Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

I am after the switch itself rather than an add-on as I have quite a few 3gangs and there won’t be space to add 3 shelly’s, also with toggle switches it is not very user friendly. Like if the light is on and you turn it off in the app and then go to the wall switch, you have to turn it off and on again for the light to go on.

FYI, you can buy adaptors to change bayonet to Edison screw.

1 Like

Actually with the Shelly you can set it up so that a flick of the switch toggles the light. Doesn’t help with your space issue but just FYI

Don’t some people just address the space issue by putting the Shelly up in the ceiling near the light fitting?

That’s what I’m considering doing for my architrave switches.

I have done this with a few ZWave switches because we have brick internal walls in WA so space is a major problem behind light switches.

1 Like

I’ve had 8 Shelly’s in the roof for close to two years now without issue.

Some were concerned with heat in the roof space but I’ve not had any problems.

1 Like

I’ve had 4 in the roof space for a year or so. Mind you with this La Niña weather the roof space has only hit 35°C once in the last year.

1 Like

They must have fixed that then because I have ready that you have to do the double flick with the shelly’s

Wont it just be easier to replace the switch with one that has the capability rather then jumping in the roof or removing lights out the ceiling to add the shelly’s. I think cost as well. 3 Shelly’s = $60 to $90. Would be nice to have a 3 gang for $50. Rip and replace.

That would be the ‘Switch Type’ not set correctly in the Shelly.
With a traditional light switch it should be set to ‘Edge’ not the default ‘Toggle’

2 Likes

The Shelly has a bunch of advantages here. Any 3 gang switch you are going to find for that money will be Tuya and that means dealing with Tuya nonsense.

Shelly just jumps on local WiFi and just goes right into HA with no cloud, bridges hubs or other stuff needed. They are highly customisable and if you feel like it, you can flash with something like ESPHome.

The other thing that keeps all the normies in my house happy is that all the light switches all still look the same, and the switch works the same as far as they are all concerned. Family annoyance factor a big winner there!

2 Likes

Yes why I am looking for something native is for the exact reason you are mentioning, keep the rest of the family happy.

I did see the tuya ones but am after a standard zigbee 3.0 version. I will be testing some in the near future and will then probably go through the certification process if the interest is high enough. Plan is to work with almost any standard zigbee hub so will be great with HA Yellow.

I have a fair few shellies and I really like them. They have the BEST software, and can do anything you set your mind to. I wired up a single 3 x Gang switch and it was a bit of mess. There really was not that much room to manoeuvre, and would have preferred a pre-wired 3 gang switch… but then the switch will have a different look and will mess up your interior design.
I don’t have a double flick issue so you may wish to revisit your config of the device.

cheers

But if they are cheap enough you can replace all the switches in the house… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

There just isn’t the physical space to fit such switches behind the existing switches. They are old switches in the architraves:

And there are dozens like this, there are no ganged switches in this house. The switches are scattered all over the place. One for each light. It would require carpentry work to make space.

I’m hoping to put in a couple of ganged wireless smart switches which can be programmed to control groups of lights.

Those are dangerous. When connecting those there’s an even chance the outer of the Edison fitting becomes live, not neutral.

That’s true, probably why IKEA stopped selling them!

Mate,
If it was me i would make myself a little timber bump out box that you install and then 6 months later when someone notices you go - ooooh you mean that thing I put in there a year ago…noticeable isn’t it.

wattmatters, you have an interesting interior design dillemna, I don’t envy you. The lack of a junction box means there is little or no space to fit a shelly. Once you start converting to standard switches, who knows where that little escapade will end. Good luck with it.

Not that I know what a timber bump out box is or would look like, but my wife has a keen design eye and would notice something in a nanosecond.

I think some general power outlets can be swapped out OK as they will be of standard size but the light switches are a PITA.

I’m sitting in my living area right now and just counted - there are 14 individual light switches in this room alone. I’ve no idea what the original builder/sparky was thinking but it was the 70’s. We are gradually undoing all the weirdness and keeping the interesting features where possible.

This is why for now I think smart globes are my only reasonable option.

But I need ones which will work reliably outside the house walls. The Arlec (Tuya) globes I have just don’t maintain a sufficiently reliable wifi connection out there even though the signal is very good, so I am hoping a Zigbee solution will improve things, plus I don’t want to have to use a cloud service.

The Arlec globes I can still use inside, even as just regular globe replacements, and I have local Tuya working at least to make their performance a little snappier.

The other real dilemma is half the indoor light fittings won’t fit over the narrow candle shape globes, all the smart globes variants are 38mm wide and I need them to be less than 36 mm. I can get regular globes that fit but all the smart globes are too wide.