Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Hey everyone, just wanted to do a quick sanity check before I finally order some Shelly relays. I’ve seen them working for a two way switch online (like where there’s a switch at each end of the lounge) in American/European set ups and only using 1 Shelly relay. Is there any weird electrical stuff that we have that would make it different? I’ve got 2 two way switches and am trying to figure out if I need 2 relays or 4 total

Thanks in advanced!

You can do 2-way switching with only one relay.

1 Like

Ah, perfect, that’s the best news ever! Now to order them and sit patiently (while thinking up my first automations!) until we get an electrician to install

Thanks for the help!

I use a Shelly 1 to switch the Smart Grid (SG) Ready control line on my Stiebel Electron hot water heat pump, which raises the set point from 61°C to 65°C.

I use a Bunnings Deta Smart Grid outdoor socket to switch the compressor circuit on and off and measure power consumption.

I keep the annode circuit powered continuously (4 W) and switch the compressor circuit on when I have excess solar (600W) and it switches off when it detects no power draw for 30 minutes (i.e. the compressor has switched off for 30 minutes).

1 Like

I check to wait and see if the compressor has stopped by waiting until the power draw has dropped and then switch off. My Stiebel Electron also has a seperate circuit for the annode so I keep that powered continuously.

My heat pump doesn’t have an inbuilt timer so that isn’t always an option.

alias: p_deferrable4 automation (HWS)
description: Hot Water System
trigger:
  - platform: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.p_deferrable4
    above: "0.1"
    for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 0
    for:
      minutes: 5
    below: "0.1"
condition: []
action:
  - choose:
      - conditions:
          - condition: numeric_state
            above: "0.1"
        sequence:
          - service: switch.turn_on
            data: {}
            target:
              entity_id: switch.hws_switch
          - service: notify.mobile_app_pixel_6
            data:
          - service: switch.turn_on
            target:
              entity_id: switch.shelly1_58bf25d7bf71
          - delay:
              minutes: 5
              milliseconds: 0
          - service: switch.turn_off
            target:
          - wait_for_trigger:
                entity_id: sensor.hws_power_2
                for:
                  minutes: 30
                below: 100
            target:
            data:
    default:
        target:
        enabled: false
        data:
        enabled: false
        target:
mode: single

I replaced the outdoor waterproof sockets with Deta grid connect from Bunnings and use localtuya for switching and power consumption for the pool and hot water systems.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-grid-connect-smart-outdoor-double-powerpoint_p0172781

Nice.
10 chars

I haven’t had much luck with localTuya (no new device adds to the integration any more and I can’t get my older devices to connect either) and so I have abandoned any consideration of using Tuya devices. There are a few that remain operating but once they die, I’ll ditch Tuya/localTuya entirely. It’s just too flakey and too much of a PITA to troubleshoot.

1 Like

Totally agree, the simplicity of athom preflashed ESPHome compared with the complexity of tuya is day and night.

Just wish I could get outdoor rated sockets, by I haven’t actually checked if they can be reflashed.

1 Like

Use a normal socket and mount a Shelly inside. Alternatively, mount a waterproof enclosure next to it with a Shelly inside.

Hi guys,
I have just discovered Hive Mind. Stu puts out some great videos that are easy to follow. His tuya one helped me with my inkbird 308 setup. Would be great if there was some way to get together locally with other HA users to thrash out ideas etc.
Pat

1 Like

Im running the Deta Grid Connect Smart Outdoor Double Powerpoint (6294HA) flashed with ESPHome (via Libretuya). Fairly straightforward to do. Initial flash was tricky, only because the TX pin was connected to the power monitor chip. So had to make a small cut of the trace, do initial flash, then small ‘repair’ of trace. I pretty much run all my stuff on ESPHome these days. Never touched Tuya.

1 Like

Great news, I really must try and reflash.

Why would you need LibreTuya? (I’m not familiar with this as I have always flashed devices directly to ESPhome)

Sorry should have said that the Deta 6294HA I flashed is a Series II ie not longer contains an ESP chip. Thus Libretuya required :slight_smile:

Oh ok, but you can still run ESPhome on it? Is there a write-up on doing this somewhere?

There is a fork of esphome for this chipset, so the workflow is libretuya to liberate the device, esphome fork to set it up :slight_smile:

I have been following ‘Hive Mind’ also on you tube. Good to see a local give it a go - figure we all should subscribe at least and check out his channel.

1 Like

Start here : https://docs.libretuya.ml
I once was a Tasmota fan, then I moved to ESPHome. Then found some devices without ESP chips so I did a few successful chip transplants. Learnt a lot. Was entertaining for me as I like picking up new skills.
Then I found LibreTuya with ESPHome. That’s been my journey.

can you please link to the Hive Mind YT channel? The Hive Mind that comes up in my search doesn’t appear to be related to home automation