Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

I can confirm the new tuya-convert process also works on the Aldi Medion Life+ S85225 Power Monitoring Plug which I picked up a week ago. They’re only $9.99 if your local Aldi has them and also have power monitoring. Though the monitoring really needs to be calibrated.

2 Likes

BINGO! Went to Bunnings just now and picked up an Arlec Grid single plug, worked first try with the new Tuya-Convert! Model PC189HA on the back of the plug.

Here is the backlog command for console in Tasmota.

Backlog Module 18 Generic; GPIO4 57 Led2i; GPIO12 21 Relay1; GPIO14 90 Button1n;
{"NAME":"Arlec Single","GPIO":[0,0,0,0,57,0,0,0,21,0,90,0,0],"FLAG":0,"BASE":18}
3 Likes

Have anyone got a working Tasmota Template for the ‘Arlec Smart Plug In Twin Socket’ or the ’ Arlec 5 Outlet Smart Powerboard’?

Looking to pick up a twin plug this week to test. Will let you know how I go if no one else has a go before hand.

1 Like

I definitely will give it a go when I get back home later this week. Would I need to remove the old Tuya-Convert version first?

this is one hell of a thread!
can anyone here speak to Shelly devices in Australia?
the spec for the Shelly EM states it works up to 230V, but I understand most of Australia while claiming to be 230V is actually somewhere between 240 and 260 most of the time (gotta love those aussie standards).
I guess my question is, has anyone played with the Shelly’s and have they had any premature failures?

Spec says Power Supply: 110-230V ±10%, 50/60Hz AC

= 207V to 253V.

1 Like

IIRC the Australian standard is 230 V + 10% or -6% so roughly 253 V to 216.2 V. Assuming the specs on the Shelly’s allow some variance up to 253 V it should be okay.

1 Like

missed that! :open_mouth:
time to get ordering :slight_smile:
Thanks

If they aren’t Aus certified, which I don’t believe they are, they are not legal to use. Up to you if you want to risk it.

I did a fresh install or Raspbian on another SD card, that way I have the old and the new to use if needed, but, it’s really just as easy to sudo rm -rf tuya-convert and then pull the new files.

1 Like

do you happen to know of aussie certified capable replacement?
do we have a list of companies who have paid up membership to aus certification?

Plenty of Z-Wave products that can be used for in-wall applications and are Aus approved. As far as in wall / behind switch stuff, I’m not sure if there is much available outside of Z-Wave. I got rid of my Z-wave stuff, so not the person to ask about the best place to get that gear.

There are THESE coming to Bunnings soon, but they do not power monitor and not available in QLD stores yet, maybe your local store will have them. I’m looking forward to getting some when available.

Plug wise, the best bet is the Kogan Smarter Home 4 pack of energy monitoring plugs HERE. $69 for 4, and you can flash them with Tasmota or ESPhome with Tuya-Convert to use with HA.

Normal wall plugs, there are THESE $18 each when you get 4, and some Bunnings still have them for $15, stock levels vary. THESE Arlec plugs from Bunnings can also now be flashed with the updated Tuya-Convert.

2 Likes

was really after the whole house power monitor to MQTT really, ideally with a contractor output.
pretty much a shelly EM. its perfect, just not aussie perfect. Booooo!
thank you for taking the time to list the options tho, i’m new to home automation and the more info i can gather for the best kit, the better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want to monitor the whole house power consumption I suggest getting IoTaWatt.

For z-wave gear there are a bunch of outlets I linked early in this thread. Use which ever one has a sale on at the time…

2 Likes

About to get one of these installed (it’s been sitting in the todo pile for 6 months!)… can’t wait to get the stats! Pondering whether I get a battery (Tesla PowerWall etc) or a second 5kw solar setup, but want the usage data before I commit.

Has anyone looked at the Bunnings/Arlec globes, and whether they’re hackable?

Hey guys just found this in Kmart, it’s tuya !

3 Likes

And they sell the same one in NZ. Probably worth buying for the controller and hooking it up to a ceiling fan.

1 Like

Any idea what the power rating of the fan motor is? I can’t see it on their website.

I unfortunately just tried with my zemismart lights without any luck. Hopefully someone else will have more luck than me.