Australian BOM Rain Radar Card

With the inbuilt one I can go down to 64km… it looks like a zoom of 10 is around double that.

(compare Gosford-Wyong on my screenshot above and this one here)

When I set up with a marker on Terry Hills at zoom level 10 it looks far more zoomed in than the old radar images to me. The old 64km one gets almost down to Woolongong while the new one only just reaches Botany Bay.

Well it’s completely different on my above screen grabs…

Are you sure? The image in your post #11 looks like the same zoom level as what I posted (just a different center point).

Gaaa…
My 64km one is actually roughly equivalent to a zoom level of 9. Zoom Level 10 makes them further apart (which is actually correct and what you should expect. Doh!!!)

So all is good there I think. I have no idea what I was expecting/thinking.

Yeah I know you said it wasn’t mobile friendly. Just confirming that.

It would be nice if there was some inbetween dark and light as the contrast still sucks a bit but I don’t know if you can do anything about this.

The card looks pretty good anyway despite that and provides some useful functionality and configurability. Would be great if it was able to replace the core card one day.

EDIT: Just saw Voyager option… looks better contrast wise but light…

The limitation for colours of background maps is based on the map tiles that we can find that are served up freely. These ones are from Carto, there are some from ESRI, but they are no better (probably worse).

1 Like

V1.2.1 is published. This hopefully addresses most of the mobile device problems. I can’t test on IOS as I do not have a device. But it works much better on my Samsung S9.

1 Like

got it running, looks good. bit cleaner than the other BOM integration.

thanks for sharing

I hate to keep complaining but did you bump the version number? I still see 1.2.0 in the console.
It seems to be working better on iOS though

Correct, I forgot to update in the console print.

V1.2.2 available that adds an option for a map scale in the bottom left corner.

2 Likes

I always check the version with HACS as I have found in the past that sometimes HACS doesn’t update it correctly…
Thanks.

did the integration options change, i lost all the lat/long settings, but looking at the code they are still there. if i add one the option name are different

Edit ignore, seen post above mentioning making them more consistent

1 Like

I have pushed updates to github, but reluctant to mark as a release as HA 0.115 has changed the way the UI Editor works. I have checked with some other cards and any options using dropdown menu’s don’t function anymore.

The key things that have been pushed are:

• Updated marker icons (solid interiors)
  • Styling of the bottom bar in dark mode
  • Added ability to enable/disable zoom, recenter and playback controls
  • Added static_map option which disables all panning and zooming

So if you don’t release it how do we get it? I don’t think it will work if I switch branch will it?

If you want to try it. It is the master branch still on github. If you grab the files from the dist folder you can drop them into www/community/bom-radar-card. Just remember to delete bom-radar-card.js.gz so it uses the new version.
The UI editor part is broken, so you have to edit in yaml to use. Details of the new options are in the readme.

I wasn’t using UI to config anyway. With HACS I usually can set to master branch.

Ah… can’t do that here. Can you release it as a beta version?

I created a pre-release v1.2.3. I have now figured out how to do that :wink:

2 Likes

@DavidFW1960 can you confirm if the visual editor is screwed up for you? For me it looks something like this after the 0.115 update.

no it seems ok to me

I added all options

- type: 'custom:bom-radar-card'
            center_latitude: '-33.425018'
            center_longitude: '151.342224'
            zoom_level: '9'
            frame_delay: 500
            frame_count: 10
            show_marker: true
            markerIcon: true
            marker_latitude: '-33.425018'
            marker_longitude: '151.342224'
            show_range: true
            show_scale: true
            show_zoom: true
            show_recenter: true
            show_playback: true
            extra_labels: true
            map_style: 'voyager'
            static_map: false

Never sure if these are supposed to be in quotes or not. The docs take a bet both ways.