Australian Weather Forecast using BOM Public FTP

Mobile version of my weather module

Lovelace code

1 Like

I have tried your new code and it seems to be working now. Initially it got rid of the error but wasnt showing up the new forecast entities. getting it to work only happened once I removed my old code that related to the standard BOM component. I guess there was also some sort of conflict there.

1 Like

any ideas why the summaries are blank?

Just updated the code about 30 mins ago - this problem has been fixed.,

confirmed :slight_smile: Thanks for an awesome addition to the HA world! (pity the weather in Perth this weekend is going to be crap)

however I am seeing the below error posted to the log every time I visit my lovelace weather page:

/frontend_latest/app-d4eea1e0.js:434:176 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘_stateDisplay’ of null

Thank you! I’ve been getting this same error and I thought it was because of the latest HA version.
I installed this component and updated at the same time

Sorry guys! I have no idea about Lovelace :slight_smile:
Anyone is welcome to have a crack at fixing this - Pull Requests are welcome on Github

1 Like

I seem to have issues if I try to run both this and the standard BOM component. The standard component wont load if this FTP one is enabled… The problem then is that I cant get the current weather data from BOM :frowning:

Other than this small lovelace issue, it’s all working great mate!
Thank you for the prompt patch ups and replies!

@sparkydave it’s working for me. I’m using the “BoM Australia Sensor” Component. Not the “BoM Australia” component.

If that’s not it, have you perhaps got duplicate entity IDs?

I’m using the component rather than the sensor but maybe I will try and swap over for the time being.

Hi Joel,

Latest version has units and icons added for ‘non friendly’ sensors.

Forecast for just “Sydney” city is a little vague for me, is there a way to include smaller suburbs within Sydney?
I’m assuming not because BoM doesn’t make all the stations available through FTP?

But I’m almost positive that with the official HA BoM component I had my suburb working, but that was a while ago

Search for your suburb here: http://reg.bom.gov.au/catalogue/anon-ftp.shtml

Yeah I did, but there’s only Sydney that’s closest to where I am.
This is the component I was talking about and it worked with my local suburb station.

It works by station ID instead of Product ID?

Hi Brendan.
Just updated to latest release and get the below errors in the log and also the sensors do not appear anymore. i have tried with latest and beta Home assistant and same result

2018-10-09 07:09:27 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/app/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py”, line 242, in async_update_ha_state
device_attr = self.device_state_attributes
File “/config/custom_components/sensor/bom_forecast.py”, line 349, in device_state_attributes
ATTR_ICON: self._bom_forecast_data.get_reading(‘icon’, self._index),
File “/config/custom_components/sensor/bom_forecast.py”, line 387, in get_reading
find_query = (_FIND_QUERY.format(index, SENSOR_TYPES[condition][0]))
KeyError: ‘icon’

Hi Guys

Set this up but when I do my validation im gettting

"Configuration invalid

Platform not found: sensor.bom_forecast"

Anyone seen this before?

I’m getting the same error and no sensors with the latest version and “friendly” set true:

Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 242, in async_update_ha_state
    device_attr = self.device_state_attributes
  File "/config/custom_components/sensor/bom_forecast.py", line 349, in device_state_attributes
    ATTR_ICON: self._bom_forecast_data.get_reading('icon', self._index),
  File "/config/custom_components/sensor/bom_forecast.py", line 387, in get_reading
    find_query = (_FIND_QUERY.format(index, SENSOR_TYPES[condition][0]))
KeyError: 'icon'

Interestingly the unfriendly instance is working.

I have set up the BOM sensor and found that it doesn’t conflict with this forecast, but the BOM component does. I’m happy with the sensor but it is still worth trying to figure out why the component has conflicts. I’m happy to test.