Australian Weather Forecast using BOM Public FTP

Thanks Tom, will give it a try - just d/loaded in raw format before and has never been an issue. Still just wants to create the one sensor. No dramas will roll back to an older version.

What happens if you remove the fire danger ans UV alert monitored conditions?

Good pick up Tom - it appears the UV and Fire Danger attributes are the issue. I use the UV rating to send alerts, so still need to roll back to older version unfortunately.

what do you mean by this?

I meant an output like this:

12Ā°C to 20Ā°C
Mostly sunny.

This is the solution for single quoted scalars according to the YAML docs :

forecast_days: 6
  rest_of_today: True
  friendly_state_format: '{min}Ā°C to {max}Ā°C

{summary}'
  text_if_no_value: '-'
  monitored_conditions:
    - 'max'

But it does not work.

@sparkydave, Just realised that isnā€™t going to work for forecasts like this ā€œ2 to 8 mmā€.

yeah, I looked into that tonight and tried an example. It seemed to giive me the first value

It should be possible to extract the max value if that is more use. But it would need a conditional statement to look for ā€œtoā€ in the string.

Apologies if I am hijacking this thread, but have any Aussies here been able to get pollen/allergy info from anywhere? I thought there might be info on the BOM site and could be extracted as described above but I couldnā€™t find it. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I donā€™t think BOM do pollen forecasts, you could try this website but they mostly only cover Victoria:L

weather.com seems to have info for everywhere Iā€™ve looked for a pollen count, but I donā€™t know where they get their data from, so I havenā€™t used it. Also WeatherZone has info for the capital cities, but for me itā€™s too far away.

Time to build your own pollen sensor!

This is great. Many thanks Brendan!

1 Like

Thanks for doing these, super helpful!

1 Like

Came here looking for this info too - it would be rather awesome if we could get current weather warnings. Iā€™d like to potantially set some lights to red or something similar of a current warning for my area was present (hopefully giving a heads up for giant hail etcā€¦).

1 Like

Is anyone else running the dev branch of this and getting the same AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'text' error that @grantc and @tom_l discussed above?

It looks like disabling the UV and fire danger conditions stop this, but my understanding is that the dev branch exists to add support for this?

Thanks for some fantastic work. Iā€™ve got this working well on my Sunology, using Docker, and 0.85.0 of Home Assistant

1 Like

Hi all, Iā€™m a bit of a noob, and having trouble with the n/a to n/a issue. Could anyone help me out with a ā€˜dummies guideā€™ to fixing it?

Here is my config:

> #Sensors
> #weather stuff
> sensor:
>   - platform: bom_forecast
>     product_id: IDV10450
>     name: Melbourne
>     forecast_days: 3
>     rest_of_today: True
>     friendly: True
>     friendly_state_format: '{min} to {max}'
>     monitored_conditions:
>       - 'max'
>       - 'min'
>       - 'chance_of_rain'
>       - 'possible_rainfall'
>       - 'summary'
>       - 'detailed_summary'
1 Like

The problem is, ā€˜n/aā€™ is referring to the minimum temp or low temp for that day. If it is ā€˜todayā€™ then the lowest temp has already past, it wouldā€™ve occurred at some time before sunrise. So BoM donā€™t publish that low in their ā€œforecastā€ because it is not actually a ā€œforecastā€, it is historical. To overcome this you could create a template sensor that is based on the value for ā€˜todayā€™ but removes the n/a section of the value. Hope this helps.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Iā€™ve never worked with template sensorā€™s before, is there a example for this I can work off?