Authentication of Shelly Devices

Hello folks,

how can I tell the home assistant the password for my shelly devices?
I configured an additional passphrase in the shelly settings and now I get an errormessage.

authetication_error

There is no easy way to just add a password to an integration that requires it but did not when the device was added, as far as i can tell.

You may be able to modify the core.config_entries file… however I was under the impression that the shelly broadcasts a CoAP message over the network and HA sees that, and the password on the shelly only protects the web interface, not CoAP communication.

This is a bit old, but I was able to get my Shelly working again after turning on authentication by adding a couple of key/value pairs to the device inside the core.config_entries file. You can find the file in ‘/config/.storage’. Here’s what it looked like after I added the username and password to it:

{
  "entry_id": "randomIdNumber33313fde2a562b13",
  "version": 1,
  "domain": "shelly",
  "title": "shelly1-8CAAB55FXXXX",
  "data": {
    "host": "192.168.6.191",
    "username": "admin",
    "password": "MyCoolPassword1!",
    "sleep_period": 0,
    "model": "SHSW-1",
    "gen": 1
  },
  "options": {},
  "pref_disable_new_entities": false,
  "pref_disable_polling": false,
  "source": "zeroconf",
  "unique_id": "8CAAB55FXXXX",
  "disabled_by": null
}
8 Likes

Found this and edited my core.config_entries file but did not work. Probably because Shelly Plus 1 is a Gen 2 device?

Anybody has a solution to this problem?

I was pretty happy to have found a device where I do not need to solder pins on the board of the device (Sonoff) to be able to install another firware… and now this. Without authentication I cannot use the devices. Or I would have to separate my WiFi into guests and private. But that would be hard to do through out the area of our resort.