Auto-dim in the iOS app for always-on iPads

It would seem that a lot of people use iPads in their Home Assistant setups, some that might be like me, hanging it on the wall as a “control panel” of sorts. This kind of thing is awesome for easy access for everyone in the household, but there’s one thing that’s slightly annoying about it:

You either choose between auto-lock being off and having to unlock the device each time you want to use it, or have an always-on, full brightness display which isn’t great either.

So I’m proposing that the Home Assistant iOS app add a simple feature, which is supported by the iOS APIs: controlling the brightness of the screen based on interaction. In the App Configuration options I would be able to turn on an “auto-dim” feature and define a time period after which auto-dim turns on.

So for instance, let’s say I set an auto-dim timer for 1 minute . This would mean that I can leave the device unlocked, and as long as Auto-Lock is off within iOS, the screen would simply dim to the desired level after 1 minute.

This would make it possible to not have an always-on-full-brightness iPad, but enable quick access without having to unlock the device every time.

I’ve opened up a Github feature request to this effect if you’d like to follow along:

Yes yes yes - That would be awesome. It seems like it was rejected. Did you ever find a solution for the issue?

1 Like

What I did was remove the the passcode so I can just press the home button two time to open it up.

Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode , Settings > Touch ID & Passcode , or Settings > Passcode (this will depend on if you have an iPhone or iPad with Touch ID or Face ID). Tap it, enter your passcode, then swipe down and tap on Turn Passcode Off .

Also I set the “auto lock” to 15 minutes so it was on as long as possible (without being forever).

I measured the power consumption and it’s about 5-10 watts when on (depending on your light settings) and it’s almost 0 watts when it’s off.