Auto insurance Bluetooth beacon

Has anybody done anything with Bluetooth beacons used by auto insurance companies? My insurance company sent me replacement beacons for my vehicles, so I disassembled one of the old ones to see what was in it.

The beacon is a DriveWell Tag v6.2, FCC ID 2AFGD000620. The board has a Cypress/Infineon CY8C6347FMI-BLD53T processor and a Macronix MX25R3235F storage. Pics below.

Just curious if these are worth replacing the CR2477 battery to use in the house.

That’s very weird hardware and not at all typical of normal iBeacons. That said, who cares, if they work as iBeacons, they work!

You could use them either as iBeacons (if they are broadcasting an iBeacon protocol packet) or just as a regular bluetooth thingy (if it is broadcasting a fixed MAC address).

Use my KBeacon app (free) to scan for the beacon. It will show you the name of the beacon and the MAC. Refresh the scan every so often to see if the MAC changes. If it doesn’t change (I doubt it will), then great. You can use it as a fixed MAC BLE thingy.

You can also use the KBeacon app to see if it is broadcasting a UUID/Major/Minor. If you use KBeacon on an iPhone, it won’t show you the UUID for Apple paranoid security reasons, but it will show you the major and minor. The Android version of KBeacon will show all three (UUID, Major, Minor).

If you see a major number and minor number on the app screen underneath the beacon’s MAC, then that means it is broadcasting standard iBeacon protocol. So you can use it as a standard iBeacon too!

Small revenge of overpriced insurance companies, but every little bit counts! :grin:

Thanks @BlueCharmBeacons! That’s a lot of good info.

I used the KBeacon app and the beacon did not show up. But if I used another Bluetooth scanner app, the beacon shows up (as well as neighbors’ Hue bulbs, iRobot vacuums, speakers, etc.). Apparently these things have some sort of software on them that makes them work with the insurance company’s phone app when the vehicle is in motion.

It was fun trying.

In that case, it’s probably not broadcasting anything like a beacon protocol, so beacon-specific apps like KBeacon will ignore it.

That said, it is likely broadcasting a fixed MAC (unless it is broadcasting a randomized MAC, in which case, you won’t have much luck using it). There are probably some HA integrations that work with MAC addresses as opposed to UUID/Major/Minor.

You might try searching around for any HA integrations that react to the MAC of something BLE or bluetooth. (I’m not super familiar with HA)

…Or you could just buy one of my real iBeacons and tape it to the insurance beacon, if that makes you feel better! :laughing:

Just checked the FCC application, and the user manual does appear to say that it has a fixed MAC:

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2AFGD000620/5462420