Auto Refresh Dashboard

Is there a way to do an auto refresh of the dashboards? This way if a change is made to the dashboard the dashboard will refresh without having to manually refresh.

I use Chrome and added an extension that would refresh every X seconds but it doesn’t seem to refresh the actual dashboard.

Not yet - but it wouldn;t be hard to push a command that forced a refresh.

You could use a meta refresh tag in your head include in the skin itself. This would go in the variables.yaml file for the skin. The example below refreshes once an hour. (Content time value is in seconds.)

head_includes: 
  - <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="3600">
2 Likes

Hi.

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but where would I put that if I wanted to use the default skin?

you can only save a custom skin with the name default, or you need to edit the appdaemon files itself (cant be done in hassio, not wise in any case)

you can copy the default skin from the github, and place it in the dir /custom_css/default
dont forget that when there is an update from AD and there are changes to the default skin, that you can get in trouble.

files are here

be carefull with editing. 1 error and no dashboard will work anymore.

Thanks. I guess if I just copy the default skin and name it default1 then I can make the change I need to. My camera still goes black after 5 minutes now.

i dont think that will help you.
i am pretty sure thats a cache issue.

find out how to disable cache on that device and your problem is gone.

1 Like

Hi, is there is a way to refresh dynamic input_select that gets options from another input_select in appdaemon?
i mean when you select an option in the first input_select it refresh the other input_select
Thanks

things like that are not done in the gui (in this case dashboard) but in HA itself.
you can create an automation for that.

Thanks for your answer, I have it working fine in home assistant, but need it too to update when i choose an option in dashboard to update the other input_select.

if it updates in home assistant it updates in dashboard.
so the way is:

change input select 1 in dashboard > home assistant sees the change > automation changes input select 2 > dashboard sees the change and updates.

in home assistant it does the changes, but in appdaemon dashboard need to do refresh to see the changes. i mean the options of the second input_select they doesn’t refresh in dashboard while they does change in HA, by the way i use the rest_command to udate the second input_select OPTIONS

you mean you change the options?

so for example options are:
A, B and C
and you change them to
C, D, E?

if thats the case i see your problem.

the options are loaded when the dashboard is loaded, and changing the options doesnt trigger a state change, so there is no way i see that the dashboard can know that you changed them.
the only way i see is that the dashboard starts to listen to services from HA and that when a service is triggered that changes the input_select option, the widget will be reloaded.

you could create an issue on ADs github, but i dont see that happen in the near future.

at this moment the only way i see for you is that in your automation that changes the options, you also add a part that reloads the dashboard.

Absolutely that’s what I mean input_select 2 keep changes the list options. In home assistance they work without problem , but in hadashboard doesn’t update.
I added in the variables reload every 3 seconds, but that’s annoying because the dashboard keep flashing everytime it reloads.

what are you updating in the second input select?
how often does it change?

The first input_select has a list of albums and the 2nd input_select has the songs, so when you choose an album from the 1st input_select, it will changes the options in the second input_select( means the list of songs) so depending on the first input select it will change the 2nd input_select. this way can change whenever you choose the album
In HA interface this work fine, because i use an automation that execute rest command to change the 2nd input_select options.

in the automation that is triggered by the first input select add a command that refreshes the dashboard.
that works when you only have 1 active dashboard.

info about that:
https://appdaemon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/DASHBOARD_CREATION.html#external-commands

but just asking, how often do you use that option?
most people just want to listen to a list of songs and not choose song after song.

if you dont use it often then just add a refresh button to the dashboard.

if you know enough about javascript you could add a script to the javascript head in the skin you use that listens to the first input_select and then refreshes the dashboard.

but i dont see any options without refreshing the dashboard.

Hello and thanks for following replies.

like is told in the link you gave, you can create a custom event in HA.
the example script looks like this:

alias: Navigate
sequence:
- event: hadashboard
  event_data:
    command: navigate
    timeout: 10
    target: SensorPanel
    sticky: 0

at the place from “SensorPanel” you put the name from your dashboard.
you can trigger that script in an automation.

i am not going to try to guide you to create something in javascript. (it would probably take me less time to create it myself :wink: )
but the script should work for you.

so this way you can choose a song by song

yeah i understand, but how often do you choose a single song, and then a new one, and then again?
thats like in the old days, where people did put in a CD and then listened to 1 song, and then put in another. very few people do/did that. they just listen to the whole CD/playlist.

Great!! works like charm!! thanks alot.
by the way choosing a song is an option9an additional option), since you can play an album by complete or just playing a certain song, all are working as supposed to be thanks alot