Auto rotate in companion app

Can we have an option to turn off auto rotate in the companion app? How many times have I been doing something in the app, leaned over or bent down to do something, then the screen auto rotates, then has to realign itself, hopefully in the same position as it was. In this app I can’t think of any reason I would want it in landscape mode.

I’d propose an extra settings item with radio buttons:

Screen Orientation

• Auto rotate
  • Portrait
  • Landscape

At least on android we can add a setting to lock the orientation to whichever it was when started I believe. Not sure about iOS.

IOS has this. Works the same was as android and it’s accessible from the main screen for quick toggling.

1 Like

Can you share a screenshot of this setting? Might try to replicate it

No, it’s not something you can do, it’s just a setting in all of iOS. You swipe down from the upper right corner in iOS and it brings up a quicksettings page that has a rotation lock.

I think android has this as well, but you swipe down from the top.

1 Like

Oh yes Android has the same toggle. Although we can offer an in app override which is what I thought the iOS app had lol.

Not an Apple guy either but I found this.

Yes, you can lock the orientation in android with the pull down. But that changes it device wide. What I’m suggesting would only set the orientation in the HA app. I have at least one other app that does this, so it’s possible.

personally I don’t think we should do a radio option, I think we should just add a lock orientation option so however you were holding your device that is how the app will remain. It will be odd to have the app force rotate and then you will also have those wanting portrait 180 etc…

For what it’s worth - answering the question of “I don’t know why anyone would want it in landscape” -
I regularly make use of rotating the screen when I am viewing either graphs or camera feeds.

Yes. I often do the same for the exact same reasons, but I usually keep my auto-rotate off and just click the momentary icon that shows up on the home bar when I rotate the screen, then ditto when I rotate it back to portrait

It has been added in the latest release! :partying_face:

1 Like

Great! Just wondering where can I find this setting for iOS on the companion app? I looked at all the settings screens but I’m not seeing this option. Or is this only added for Android?