Automate backup creation with HA container

Hello,

I’m trying to understand how I can trigger backups (then eventually upload them somewhere else) from an automation. I’m not using supervised installation (only the container version).

I would assume there is a service to call but could not find any, neither in HA interface nor in documentation.

Only trace would be to call the http api (which is always a possibility).

Would you have any pointers?

I suggest to install a duplicati container next to it, the HA backup only does the config part and then only delivers a tar, with duplicati you have the option to go to gdrive and it does incremental

That’s an interesting solution. It seems to be HA backups are doing full backups (I can see in the tarball the presence of home-assistant_v2.db which contains the data points for most sensors, the config, the .storage directory containing a lot of data in general).
Given the size of the data (0.5GB) I’m not really looking for incremental for now.

So any pointer on how to trigger backups from within an automation would be great :slight_smile:

Do note that I donot use duplicati only for HA, I backup also persistent elements of all containers…all those related to HA as zigbee2mqtt, nodered, etc.etc
if it is just for HA then the regular bqckup may be fine for you