Automated Backup for Oracle VirtualBox on Windows

Hi All,

I just wanted to share with all of you - especially those of you who are running Home Assistant as a Virtual Machine on Windows - my take on Automated Backups for your VirtualBox VMs.

Please have a look at the GitHub page: VirtualBox-Backup

Features include:

• Live Snapshot (no downtime)
  • File compression
  • Auto delete old backups
  • Grandfather-Father-Son Rotation
  • Backup to NAS

Feel free to make suggestions, comments, critique.

Buy Me A Coffee

4 Likes

Iā€™ve published an update with support for backup without downtime.

Very nice. I can not figure out how to get a UPS to do a complete shutdown, rather than ā€˜savedā€™ of VB VMs? Have you run into that?

Canā€™t say that I do. Iā€™ve send you a PM to continue this conversation as it is slightly off-topic.

Thanks, this is just what I needed.

1 Like

hi, marvelous batch script. i wonder if --include can be used multiple times on a single line? i mean, i have too many VM listed on virtualbox, but not all them needed to be backed up. i only need to include 3 VMs.

also, i see that the script, after doing snapshot, it copies to temp directory first before doing compression. why not do the compression directly?

It doesnā€™t support that, but there is nothing stopping you from making a few hard-codes changes to it.

Hi, iā€™m testing the script and itā€™s working real nice, i can even specify a remote computer folder to save the backups there!, iā€™m just having a trouble with acpipowerbutton option, it trys to power off the VM but at the end says ā€œERROR time outā€.
Itā€™s there a workaround for this?.
Thanks for this wonderful script!

I have not experienced this error. It looks like the VM in question is taking too long or does not support acpi.