Automated Hue to ZHA Migration

According to this thread Signify is forcing users to rely on cloud services.

To overcome this and reduce the general energy consumption in the smart home I would like to have an automated migration from hue to ZHA:

The idea:

• we have entities in ZHA, which are created in HUE and used with the Meet Hue Bridge

After the Migration the entities should be in ZHA and the devices should directly connect to ZHA.

Steps to be taken:

• understand Meet Hue API
  • Get Identifiers from HUE API
  • Set device into pairing mode with HUE API (don’t know wether this is possible)
  • Pair device with ZHA
  • Set device entity the device had before

Things not taken into account

• Scenes
  • Automations

Thanks a lot.

I’m sure this isn’t hugely helpful, but I found that if I went into the Hue app and deleted all of my lights and switches then went into home assistant and did a zinger add, almost everything was discovered right away.
Determining what each device was still a manual process. That’s where your automation suggestions would help.
Additionally, I noticed after doing this that there were several Zigbee groups that I hadn’t seen before. They had generic names. They might have been Hue groups that were automatically imported, or something completely unrelated.

Hope this helps a tiny bit with your journey. It’s an admirable and daunting plan.

1 Like