Automation Config Broken after excluding ZwaveJS node

So I exluded my Zoos ZEN32 Scene conroller from the ZwaveJS integration so I could do a firmware update on the device. It excluded from the network no problem BUT it broke my automation conifg.

I am using the Zwavejs add on with homeassistantOS.

I tried reflashing my odroid and restoring from a backup but the problem persists.

The firmware on the scene controller was a beta and I’m using an older nortek HUSBZB-1 But Im thinking this is an integration issue with Zwavejs. I made a pull request here.

I am out of my element here and my whole house runs on home assistant. Any thoughts and ideas would be much appreaciated. Thanks for taking the time to read.

These logs shows up:

Logger: homeassistant.config
Source: components/zwave_js/
First occurred: 13:08:20 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 13:08:20

Unknown error calling automation config validator
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/", line 833, in async_process_component_config
    return await config_validator.async_validate_config(  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/", line 129, in async_validate_config
    await asyncio.gather(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/", line 106, in _try_async_validate_config_item
    config = await async_validate_config_item(hass, config, full_config)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/", line 74, in async_validate_config_item
    config[CONF_TRIGGER] = await async_validate_trigger_config(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/", line 50, in async_validate_trigger_config
    conf = await platform.async_validate_trigger_config(hass, conf)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/device_automation/", line 26, in async_validate_trigger_config
    return await getattr(platform, "async_validate_trigger_config")(hass, config)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zwave_js/", line 220, in async_validate_trigger_config
    if async_is_device_config_entry_not_loaded(hass, config[CONF_DEVICE_ID]):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zwave_js/", line 283, in async_is_device_config_entry_not_loaded
    assert device

Logger: homeassistant.setup
First occurred: 13:08:21 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 13:08:21

Unable to set up dependencies of default_config. Setup failed for dependencies: automation

Logger: homeassistant.setup
First occurred: 13:08:20 (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 13:08:21

Setup failed for automation: Invalid config.
Setup failed for default_config: Could not set up all dependencies.

This is my setup:

System Health

version: core-2021.9.6
installation_type: Home Assistant OS
dev: false
hassio: true
docker: true
user: root
virtualenv: false
python_version: 3.9.6
os_name: Linux
os_version: 5.10.53
arch: aarch64
timezone: America/Regina

GitHub API: ok
Github API Calls Remaining: 4916
Installed Version: 1.15.2
Stage: running
Available Repositories: 941
Installed Repositories: 6

logged_in: true
subscription_expiration: 19 September 2021, 18:00
relayer_connected: true
remote_enabled: true
remote_connected: true
alexa_enabled: false
google_enabled: true
can_reach_cert_server: ok
can_reach_cloud_auth: ok
can_reach_cloud: ok

host_os: Home Assistant OS 6.2
update_channel: stable
supervisor_version: supervisor-2021.09.0
docker_version: 20.10.6
disk_total: 113.9 GB
disk_used: 7.0 GB
healthy: true
supported: true
board: odroid-n2
supervisor_api: ok
version_api: ok
installed_addons: Samba share (9.5.1), Mosquitto broker (6.0.1), Home Assistant Google Drive Backup (0.105.1), Hyperion.NG (2.0.0-alpha.9), File editor (5.3.3), AdGuard Home (4.1.9), Terminal & SSH (9.1.3), MariaDB (2.4.0), Spotify Connect (0.9.1), Z-Wave JS (0.1.39)

dashboards: 4
resources: 5
views: 24
mode: storage

api_endpoint_reachable: ok

Looks like you have an automation that is referring to a device ID. Since you excluded the node the HA device was probably removed, and the integration is having trouble handling that scenario. I would just try commenting out any of those automations that refer to the missing device and see if it starts up. Then you can modify the automation afterwards.

That was it! Thanks for the help