Automation folders

Not only for automations but for things that can get too messy as well, such as scripts and helpers.

i’ll bump this up again, was looking for a solution for this.

Trigger IDs can massively reduce the clutter here, because you can keep related triggers and actions in one ha automation.

they are currently a bit of a hidden gem and a lot of people seem to be unaware, hence this related feature request for the automations UI: Use trigger IDs by default in automations - Feature Requests - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

1 Like

Tags can already be included in the automation name. For example, if there’s a breaking change in the way my instance sends SMS messages, I can list the automations that need updating:

Works for scripts and helpers too. More flexible than folders would be.

Any system is going to require a little effort! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Bumping this, give us folder structures please. I now have about 50 which is not a huge number and it is already getting out of hand. I would like to be able to choose folders and subfolders to store them in.

Folders require little effort but go much further in helping to visually organize than just adding several bracketed pieces to the names in the same (less effective) effort to organize.

I do use tags, but it seems less convenient to me than using folders. I do much of my work in YAML directly (such as, for my dashboard), but I do receive immense value from being able to tinker with my automations from the UI).

If there’s buy-in from the HA team, I would be willing to study the code a bit and put up a PR, as I’ve been thinking about contributing back to this project, and this seems like a good first step :smiley:

Not sure how this duplicate slipped through and persisted for so long, vote here