Automation help needed with evaluation of input_select

I have an accupancy input select that incl. vacation. When I select vacation it triggers and automation:

trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: input_select.Occupancy
    state: 'Vacation'

All actions that follow are logically executed when this state change to vacation happens.

However what I also want is that as long as occupancy input select is ‘vacation’ (so not only when the state changed) evaluate the setpoint of the thermostat and if this is above value x set it back to e.g. 12 degrees.

Would the easiest way be to build a trigger that checks “if temp above” with condition “input select on vacation” ? Or are there smarter ways to do this?

If you can’t simply monitor the thermostat itself and respond to a change in its temp, then you could check every X minutes.

Take a look at the Time Trigger section of https://home-assistant.io/getting-started/automation-trigger/. You could check every 10 minutes, with the condition of being on vacation.

How do you evaluate the actual setpoint (or actual temperature) of a climate component? can’t find anything about this to my surprise.

That may be platform-specific. I have an ecobee, and when I look at its properties in the device inspector, I see this:

"target_temp_high": 75,
  "fan": "off",
  "operation": "idle",
  "min_temp": 45,
  "max_temp": 95,
  "current_temperature": 70,
  "fan_min_on_time": 5,
  "actual_humidity": 50,
  "target_temp_low": 69,

So mine has two; target_temp_high and target_temp_low. Pull up your device in the dev-state panel and see what you see.

Good one (actually never checked this). It’s below.

However still dont get how to evaluate such value in a trigger or condition; in my case when temperature >15

{
  "away_mode": "off",
  "current_temperature": 20,
  "fan_list": [
    "on",
    "auto"
  ],
  "fan_mode": "auto",
  "friendly_name": "Family room",
  "humidity": 48,
  "max_temp": 35,
  "min_temp": 15,
  "operation_list": [
    "heat",
    "cool",
    "auto",
    "off"
  ],
  "operation_mode": "heat",
  "target_humidity": 35,
  "temperature": 20,
  "unit_of_measurement": "°C"
}

Ok, found out how. For others:

Method one (put in your sensor.yaml and change name -family_room- to correct entity:

- platform: template
    sensors:
      nest_setpoint:
        value_template: '{{ states.climate.family_room.attributes.temperature }}'
        friendly_name: 'Nest Setpoint'
        unit_of_measurement: '°C'

Method 2 (also add to you sensor.yaml):

- platform: nest
    monitored_conditions:
     - 'temperature'
1 Like