Automation Input Parameters

Hi folks. I’ve scoured the forums and doc and don’t think what I want is possible but am asking y’all just to be sure.

Is it possible to provide input parameters to an automation?

For example, I have Automations A and B which trigger Automation C, setting a temperature. When I set the temperature with Automation A, I want to send a notification. When I set the temperature with Automation B, I don’t want to send a notification.

The notification is built into Automation C. Is there a way I can make Automation C accept a parameter like “sendNotification=false” that can then be used in a condition?

I understand that input helpers are a thing, but think they’re only for manipulation via the frontend, correct? If I’m overlooking something obvious, I’d appreciate any guidance. TIA!

Hello baddistribution,

You can use a script to do the actions and automations to call the scripts. Scripts have fields, which is a way to pass data in, like an input.
Also there is blueprints for both automations and scripts that do inputs with static values if you want to go there.

Scripts - Home Assistant.

2 Likes

Yeah if nothing else triggers automation C except automation A or B, then C should definitely be a script instead of an automation.

Thank you! I hadn’t explored scripts yet. I’ll give this a read, looks like I’ve got some automations to convert to scripts :slight_smile:

Awesome, thank you. Some light research (this post) indicates a script is essentially an automation that has to be triggered explicitly (manually or from an automation) - is that pretty much the gist of it?

Also found this post on converting an automation to a script, should be helpful.