Automation Old and New

I am new and trying my best here but since not all the services are supported in the new front end how or where do you put the “old” style of automation’s? in the config.yaml as stated on the web site? do they go in the config.yaml file? I will have to say this is a very powerful platform but to get the main stream to use it a lot of work will be needed to get the average joe to run it and accept it… Not that user friendly but willing to push thru!

Thanks in advance

Up to you really.

You can put everything in configuration.yaml, but that becomes a mess quickly. It’s easier to use includes to separate it out, just as for the “new” GUI editor.

Of course, the automation editor should cover most things. What’s missing?

You need to lead your automations that are old with “automation old”.

The docs aren’t really clear on how they need to be separated. Are you willing to be a bit of a guinea pig and try a few options? See what works what doesn’t and the update the docs?

yes will try anything… want to move all my items from Smartthings to HA… 1st item I am trying is to set the porch lights to come on and off with the sun… the entity id is light.porch_lights_level… They are dimming lights and want them to come on to 100% at 30mins after the sun comes up and 30 min prior to sunset…

See the link below. I don’t have an offset for sunset but the example is there for sunrise. Adjust the code as needed.

I think you can add automation manually if you add the ID line and give it a unique number. Again, the docs aren’t clear in this regard so if you find it works it would be great to add a note to the docs. I have been meaning to experiment with this but haven’t found time yet.

I have moved all my automation to the “new” style. That is correct that there are unsupported features in the editor but the old automations still work. As a matter of fact using the editor creates an entry into your automation.yaml that is almost unreadable because of the order it is in (If I remember correctly). What I do like about the editor is it gives you a quick way to review an automation with having to view the file. I still build all my automation manually.

My configuration.yaml contains…

automation: !include automations.yaml

My automations.yaml looks like this and has over 50 automations ranging in complexity…

- id: a
  alias: Turn on LivingRoomLight during motion
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.motion_44
    to: 'on'
  condition:
    condition: or
    conditions:
      - condition: sun
        after: sunset
        after_offset: '-00:20:00'
      - condition: state
        entity_id: sun.sun
        state: 'below_horizon'
  action:
    - service: switch.turn_on
      entity_id: switch.living_room_light
- id: b
  alias: Turn off LivingRoomLight with conditions A
  trigger:
    to: 'off'
  condition:
    condition: and
    conditions:
      - condition: time
        after: '21:00:00'
        before: '18:00:00'
        state: 'on'
        for:
          minutes: 5
  action:
    - service: switch.turn_off
- id: c
  alias: Turn off LivingRoomLight with conditions B
  trigger:
    to: 'on'
    for:
      minutes: 1
  condition:
      state: 'off'
      for:
        hours: 1
  action:
    - service: switch.turn_off

You will be very happy when you drop Smartthings and learn HA. The automation you are trying to do should be easy and you will find a lot of info and people willing to assist.

Regards,
Mike

I will try with the ID… Thanks