Automation on SONNEN pv system with battery and VAILLANT heat pump aroTHERM plus

Hi,
my HA project is the automation of this existing two components of my energy/heating installation. I’m very interested in getting information from similar projects and need support to get the communication and automation running. Are there already running integrations with this components:

SONNEN pv system 9,57 KWp, Solaredge SE 9k, Sonnenbatterie 10 (11 kWh)
VAILLANT aroTHERM plus VWL 125/6 A

I’m looking forward to get your feedback…

Regards,
Peter

This is interesting. I have a different solar system but will soon get the same heat pump (the 5.5KW version though).

Linking the Solar and the Heat Pump should not be a major issue, they have that SG Ready interface for the basics, so that would work out of the box without even involving HA at all. All it takes is some kind switch (like the Homematic Multi-IO box) and you are done.

I have a related project though…I am trying to find a way to get the Heat Pump to react directly to the current room temperature instead of the outside temps. Sadly Vaillant doesn’t have any official or unofficial HA integration yet and my Homematic IP room Thermostats can’t talk to the Heat Pump while the Vaillant Thermostats can’t control my floor heating.
Interesting situation, right…:grin:

To give an update about my project:

Integration “Sonnenbatterie” is working fine. My additional power meter SDM530, connected by MODBUS, is adding energy consumption data I’m using in diagrams. So I learned already a lot about my power consumption and creation.

Connecting the Vaillant heat pump is a little challenge, because eBus is not very common and adapters are not easy to get. So I’m waiting for a device from the project ebusd.eu that should be available end of Q1/23. Then I will have a ethernet connect to eBus.

Peter

1 Like

My heat pump still hasn’t arrived, but I have made a lot of progress on general management and solar integration.
Today I finally managed to get through to Vaillant support, but walked away from that phone called very disappointed. It seems that Vaillant has no ambition at all in terms of Smart Home. The support rep kept repeating “it’s a closed system, no chance of communicating with any other platform” all the time. eBus was ruled out, eebus wasn’t even mentioned (although they advertise it one the Website).
I now have a pretty bad feeling about the heat pump, especially since I chose to sign up for “Tibber” and could shift the heat pump load to the cheapest energy hours very easily…

Hi,
at least VAILLANT is very “old school” with communication features. Webservices are not available, only “old” ebus-connection should work. I’m waiting for such a connector…

1 Like

From what I heard, the eBus connectors aren’t working as well as they used ro anymore either…maybe Vaillant is locking down even more…

Hi Peter,
looks like you are a couple of months ahead. I am getting a Vaillant aroTHERM plus (2x9kW) which I plan to run on the phase which does not have a battery. The other one has a BYD battery. Pool heat exchanger is connected the Vaillant system. Would be interested to hear more about your experiences. Do run KNX, but still not sure if all will fall in place. Thanks.