Automation - State change, ignoring attributes

Previously you could select a state trigger and if you didn’t select an attribute it would only trigger if the value of the entity changed.

It now shows that if you don’t select an attribute it will trigger if the entity value or any attribute chars changes.

I can’t see a way to only check the value, ignoring any attribute changes

This is needed as we have an entity that has a last checked attribute, which is every minute. I don’t want a trigger every minute

I’ve been using Home Assistant for over 5 years and I don’t recall the State Trigger ever working that way. It has worked the way it’s described in the documentation:

If you use one of the additional options (to, from, etc) then it will only listen for changes to the entity’s state property (and ignore changes to the entity’s attributes).

Example

This listens for any changes to the sensor’s state value and ignores changes to the entity’s attributes.

trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.foo
    to:

It’s a numeric value, so to / from don’t make sense.

Are you suggesting I can just use empty to, if I want the behaviour I want?

If it’s not a recent change, must be my entity adding a new property

That’s exactly what I explained in my previous post.

If you have doubts, the following screenshot is from the documentation:

This is not possible using the visual editor and your first explanation didn’t actually explain the behaviour of a null to value.

This totally feels like a workaround - state change of entity is now recursive to the attributes, but you can suppress that by supplying a to value, supplying null for to will function as wildcard but still disables attribute checks

It did. Review the example I posted.

It stated: " This listens for any changes to the sensor’s state value and ignores changes to the entity’s attributes." The example contains the to option with no value, just like the one in the documentation.

You’re free to call it what you want but that’s how the State Trigger works. It never worked the way you explained in your first sentence:

Previously you could select a state trigger and if you didn’t select an attribute it would only trigger if the value of the entity changed.