Automation to control volume with zigbee remote

I have a zigbee knob that I want to control volume for speakers in the living room.
I have managed to get it set volume up and down but it only sets it once.
For example if I turn the knob left it will decrease the volume but not decrease it further if I turn it again.
Here is the automation I’m running

alias: Knob down
description: ""
trigger:
  - device_id: ac0d0333a234cdb1ea456e76b5ea3dc4
    domain: zha
    platform: device
    type: remote_button_short_press
    subtype: dim_down
condition: []
action:
  - service: media_player.volume_set
    target:
      entity_id: media_player.living_speakers
    data_template:
      volume_level: '{{ state_attr(''media_player.living_speakers'', ''volume_level'') - 0.10 }}'
mode: restart

This is what I see when I check call_service logs

event_type: call_service
data:
  domain: media_player
  service: volume_set
  service_data:
    volume_level: 0.28
    entity_id:
      - media_player.living_speakers
origin: LOCAL
time_fired: "2022-09-04T04:55:00.517019+00:00"
context:
  id: 01GC3DM6MY23WM7B8AV7S64RVT
  parent_id: 01GC3DM6MW97D40GZB2K0ZDA7J
  user_id: null

Hi @Zotech, welcome to the forum!

I’m using IKEA zigbee remotes and some of the to control volume levels with a Blueprint.
Have a look at the Blueprints Exchange - Home Assistant Community and search for one that works with your button.

I did have a look but couldn’t find anything.
I’m guessing there’s an issue reading the current volume level because no matter what I set the volume to it always ends up the same once the knob is turned.

Which knob are you using?

Have you tried to create a template in the ‘Developer Tools’ section: there you can see the reading dynamically of the current volume level.

EDIT: maybe not bad to change the title to ‘Automation to control volume with zigbee remote’ because now it might give the impression that it’s a hardware issue/question.
Just my 2c.

Thanks just changed the title.
I’m not sure how to create a template, I can see the volume levels from events. I’m just having trouble adding x amount of volume to the current volume in my automation.

This template should work

{{ state_attr(''media_player.living_speakers'', ''volume_level'')}}

I have the Moes Smart Knob.
The template does work and show me volume levels, but I still don’t have a solution for increasing/decreasing volume.

Have you seen this: Moes Smart Knob Lights Control Blueprint

Problem is Zigbee only reacts after the action stops, making the actual turning knob part of the device largely useless. You won’t get smooth dimming/volume action, you won’t get bigger change with faster/bigger movement. It’s a glorified digital button, a waste of money.