Automation trigger if notification text contains a certain string

Hi! I’m fairly new to HA, and I’m trying to do my first “advanced” automation, but I’m struggling a lot, here’s my project:

I simply want to detect when a precise set of characters are present in the text field of a notification I’m receiving on my android phone.

For a first attempt I wanted to try that with the facebook messenger app, I want to trigger an automation when the word “test” is anywhere in the message I’m receiving.

I had success in triggering something when the EXACT word is in the message (right now the word is “test”), but I want to add a condition saying “if the word ‘test’ is anywhere in the message, then trigger happens”, so it could also trigger when the message is something like “blablabla test blablabla”.

Here’s my code as of right now:

alias: test notif
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - sensor.sm_g781b_last_notification
    attribute: android.text
    to: {%- if is_state_attr('sensor.sm_g781b_last_notification.android.text') | contains('test') %}
action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    metadata: {}
    data:
      rgb_color:
      brightness_pct: 100
    target:
      device_id: 273b38c9d6eb63a7d2cf1ab9168d24
mode: single

Obviously this doesn’t work at all.

I’ve tried a lot of different codes from looking at other topics here, like “value_template:”, but nothing I could make successfully work :pensive:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The to: option for the state trigger does not support templates. Unless the docs specifically state you can use a template - then you can’t. Also that is not a valid template. Use {{ }} for output. See: Templating - Home Assistant

Use a template trigger.

trigger:
  - platform: template
    value_template: "{{ 'test' in state_attr('sensor.sm_g781b_last_notification','android').text }}"