Automation trigger - Media Player - trigger.to_state.attributes

Hello,

I’m trying to create an automation trigger when my media player “is_voume_muted = true”

I tried this so far…

- id: '1552854853963'
  alias: Main Floor Mute triggered by Onkyo
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: media_player.main
  condition:
  - condition: template
    value_template: '{{ trigger.to_state.attributes.is_volume_muted == "true" }}'
  action:
  - data:
      entity_id: input_boolean.main_floor_mute
    service: input_boolean.turn_on  

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Use a Template Trigger.

trigger:
  - platform: template
    value_template: "{{ is_state_attr('media_player.main', 'is_volume_muted', 'true') }}

Disclaimer:
I’m not familiar with the media_player component so I’m making an assumption that the attribute’s name and state, as you’ve described them, are correct.

thanks for the suggestion. but when i try that nothing happens…same as my original code. I’ve tried a couple different media players with no luck. Nothing shows up in the logs either.

Go to Home Assistant’s States page and get a screenshot of media_player.main and all its attributes. Post the image here so we can review it. The problem may be due to the choice of the attribute’s state.

Thanks, that gives me a clue.

The attribute’s state should not be delimited by quotes because it’s a boolean value (not a string). Change 'true' to true

trigger:
    value_template: "{{ is_state_attr('media_player.main', 'is_volume_muted', true) }}"

EDIT
Corrected the template. Added missing " at the end of the template.

1 Like

That worked! Thank you!

I just had to add " at the end

trigger:
    value_template: "{{ is_state_attr('media_player.main', 'is_volume_muted', true) }}"