Automation trigger when value is not changing for some time

Hi

How can I make an automation/ trigger only when a sensor is not changing the (latest) value for a hour? So inactivity.

Thanks!

trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.whatever
    to:
    for:
      hours: 1

Then null to: monitors all state changes but ignores attribute changes. If you are interested in attributes of the sensor not changing as well then leave that part out.

2 Likes

should I set the “to” to “unknown” status or “not available”? it seems that the state of an entity remains at the last value when I look at the history of the sensor.

1 Like

You can monitor the value of the entity’s last_changed property.

In the following example, if the value of the sensor’s last_changed property hasn’t changed in over an hour, it sends a notification.

alias: example
trigger:
  - platform: template
    value_template: >
      {{ now() - states.sensor.temperature.last_changed >= timedelta(hours=1) }}
action:
  - service: notify.persistent_notification
    data:
      title: Stale Temperature
        {{ now().timestamp() | timestamp_local }} Value unchanged for the past hour.

Another example, demonstrating how to periodically check multiple sensors.

2 Likes

No leave it empty. That way HA will trigger on any state that persists for an hour. It will ignore attribute changes.

If you delete the to: altogether then HA only triggers if the state and attributes have the same values for an hour.

Thank you both! I suppose both suggested solutions will accomplish the same?

I believe there’s a subtle difference that may or may not be important to you. The difference is how they initially behave upon implementation.

• After implementing the version employing a State Trigger, it will require the entity to undergo at least one state-change before it can detect if that state-change becomes stale (i.e. remains unchanged for an hour or more).

• After implementing the version employing a Template Trigger, it will immediately detect if the entity’s state is stale.

2 Likes