Automations become Unavailable / Are Turned Off/On?

Hello, I have a relatively simple automation that turns my inline duct fan plug on and off when the climate entity is running my main HVAC blower for recirculation (fan on), heating, or cooling. I use the Lovelace Dashboard Log Card to track the status of when this automation has been triggered. I noticed this:

And was pretty confused. I am not turning the automation on or off in my Configuration - Automations Page. There are dozens of identical entries as I scroll down in the log. Additionally, how is it possible that the automation entity becomes “unavailable”? Any ideas what these entries mean, and how to fix the problem?

For reference, here is the automation yaml code:

alias: Turn on Duct Fans
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: climate.entry_thermostat
    attribute: hvac_action
    to: heating
    attribute: fan
    to: 'on'
    attribute: hvac_action
    to: cooling
condition: []
action:
  - type: turn_on
    device_id: f9776aebab3d958250b7fcddacf52b79
    entity_id: switch.smart_plug_1_channel_2
    domain: switch
mode: single
2 Likes

Did you restart Home Assistant at that time?

No, my system uptime is several weeks as of now.

Or did you reload automations?

1 Like

No, I have done nothing in the configuration or anything. Only kept my lovelace dashboard on my screen today.

When you say “log” do you mean the one shown in Configuration > Logs? Because that one should say something about a momentous event like the Automations integration winking in and out of existence …

Nothing in the log. Just in the Lovelace Dashboard Card entity state log.

Generally speaking, you mark a post with the Solution tag if the post resolves the original problem.

You marked your post with the Solution tag but it doesn’t contain any information that resolves the problem.

• If the problem is indeed solved, add information explaining what solved it.
  • If the problem remains unsolved, remove the Solution tag from your post. Others may drop by and propose a way to solve this unusual issue of automations becoming unavailable.

FWIW, I haven’t come across this problem yet so I would interested to know what causes it and what can be done to fix it.

Oh, I must have clicked “Solution” by accident. I figured you were a mod with powers to do that and thought you had marked Solved for me.

I’m not a moderator (so I can’t mark another user’s post with the Solution tag or do other moderator things).

FWIW, if I was, my username would have a Moderator tag next to it. The list of forum admins and moderators can be found here:
https://community.home-assistant.io/about

I’m wondering the same thing. I see this all the time with my automations in my log book, when not making any configuration changes or restarting home assistant. I assume there’s not been any resolution here?

2 Likes

I also face the same problem and this disable the automation to kick in which is sad. Do we know how we can avoid this ?

2 Likes

I have the same problem and it is causing big issues for me as it’s a heater for a kids room.

1 Like

Also having this problem recently I think… any solutions or ideas to troubleshoot?

1 Like

I think I found a clue. I noticed that in the logs I was getting a warning the same time as the automation becoming unavailable. The warning was related to a duplicate statement in my configuration file. I’ve removed the statement and I’ll be observing what happens next.

1 Like

Has someone found the solution yet? I am also having the same problem.

1 Like

im having the same problem also. they seem to toggle on and off by themselves.

1 Like

Also having the same problem, has anyone been able to get a clue in what’s happening?

2 Likes

I have same problems, anyone has ideas?
Thank so much!

Hi Guys,

I also have same issue here, but in my case is even worst because the issue impacts my lights (I have sonoff tx wall switch) when I turn on the lights a few minutes later the lights change the status (on logbook to ‘became unaviable’) and then the turn off all the lights on the house… any ideias?